• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

drsvelte

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Sandestin & Red Stick
Great local produce of all kinds are now available in the Gulf South. In Red Stick, we are getting some really big green bell peppers. I've always enjoyed stuffed peppers, but found many of the traditional recipes to be rather bland. This recipe from the Baton Rouge Advocate is "kicked up a bit" with some Cajun seasonings. Its a "faux" dirty rice because no chicken livers, giblets, or gizzards are used. But it captures much of the essence of the authentic dish and is a little easier to prepare.

Ingredients

4 large bell peppers
3/4 lb. ground chuck
3/4 lb. ground pork
? cup chopped onion
? cup chopped bell pepper
? cup chopped celery
1-2 cloves of garlic, chopped
? tsp. of salt
? tsp. of black pepper
? tsp. of white pepper
? tsp. of red pepper
? tsp. of thyme
8-12 drops of Tabasco sauce
? cup prepared Louisiana Fish Fry Cajun brown gravy mixed with ? tsp. Kitchen Bouquet
1/4 cup chopped green onions including tops
1 cup chicken stock
2 cups hot cooked rice

1. Cut the tops off the peppers, and remove stems, ribs, and seeds. Parboil peppers for 6-8 minutes then rinse and drain. Chop the tops for seasoning.

2. Brown the pork and chuck thoroughly in a dutch oven or heavy pot.

3. When meat is well-browned, add chopped onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, the Tobasco and the dry seasonings. Continue to brown until vegetables are tender. Add small amount of water if mixture begins to stick.

4. Add the brown gravy mixture and chicken stock and cook on low to medium heat for at least 40 more minutes to achieve a nice dark brown color.

5. Skim excess any fat and add green onions. Remove from heat and stir in the hot rice.

6. Stuff peppers with rice mixture. Place stuffed peppers in shallow baking dish.

7. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for about 25-35 minutes or until peppers are cooked and the rice mixture is heated through.

8. Serve with Louisiana Fish Fry Cajun brown gravy on the side.

I think what makes this dish is the Cajun Brown Gravy. This is a package mix, but it results in a thick, rich, spicy brown gravy. I think Publix may stock this product but it is available here:http: http://www.louisianafishfry.com/reviews.php?action=submit&id=21.

Enjoy! :D

Last edited:

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
Oh, I am going to market on Saturday! I can't wait. Will you be there drsvelte???:dunno:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Oh, my....I might just have to cook this up! :drool:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Sorry, gotta have my livers and gizzards. A plate of fried chicken livers, greens and a cold drink on the side is good living:clap:

and I'll take the plate of fried gizzards, thank you! and they make some big and delicious gizzards at the cafe at the Chevron Station at 393/98. really!