Best 30A Beaches for Finding Shells?

Discussion in 'Sports and Recreation' started by Paula, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

We like to look for shells and wondered where the best beaches on 30A are for finding shells, especially little "fancy" ones. We found so many beautiful shells after Ivan.

Has anyone taken the trip to shell island and is it worth it? Crowded?

2. shakennotstirred

shakennotstirred Beach Fanatic

I was very surprised of the shells the kids were finding a couple weeks ago in Dune Allen Beach. All the years I have been visiting, I have only seen small shells or pieces of larger ones. The kids collected a whole bucket full & a lot were larger whole shells. I joking accused one of the parents of buying them at a gift shop & planting them on the beach for the kids to find!

3. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Don't know about shells, but I know where you can get some good topsoil for your garden. Try Seagrove near the Andalusia walkover. :sosad: :pissed:

4. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

We have never really found shells at Grayton until last summer, and we figured that was due to Dennis. We found some neat ones, but still not like other places in Florida. I remember reading somewhere why there aren't lots of shells in the area, but I can't remember the reason- maybe someone else knows.

5. shakennotstirred

shakennotstirred Beach Fanatic

http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php?t=529&highlight=shells

6. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

7. Ocean Lover

Ocean Lover bean

[​IMG]
    I found these last August at Grayton Beach State Park. I walk in the surf and you can see the sand dollars washing in.

8. TooFarTampa

TooFarTampa SoWal Insider

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my hear
    Just pointing out the obvious benefit of the overall lack of shells -- lots of shells make for grainier, darker and sometimes uncomfortable sand. Beaches along the west coast of Florida are great for shelling (and in some places ancient sharks' teeth) but trust me when I say the Panhandle beaches have it very good indeed.

It also makes treasures like Ocean Lover's even more special!

9. KISH7374

KISH7374 Beach Fanatic

We were in Seacrest Beach last August and the collection of shells found were the best I have ever seen in the last 6 years. My granddaughter had a field day on the beach. Shell Island is great for shells but you have to get there early. If you have your own transportation to the island it is great but a little bit of a pain if you have to take the shuttle. You are at their mercy and can't leave when you are ready. That wait for the next shuttle seems to take forever and you get miserable in the heat waiting. No shade at all.

10. 30ARules

30ARules Beach Fanatic

We've stayed all along 30A and have always found plenty of shells! Last time was 2 weeks ago and we brought home a large bucket of shells and shell pieces. Family shell walks are funn! Kids love showing you the shells they find.:clap_1: I like the fact that they are not all over the place, makes finding big ones that much more special.:cool:

11. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

When I was little we always went to the beach around the Clearwater/St. Pete area. We would find huge welks and conchs! I don't see those on the Panhandle, but only being there one week a year may have something to do with it! The shells we found last summer were beautiful but small- lots of olives, a few scallops, and the cool sandbar was half sand/half quarter-sized sand dollars!

12. aquaticbiology

aquaticbiology fishlips

shell island is in pcb and costs about 10$ to get there and back, but you can stay as long as you want

i haven't been on it in probably 30 years, but it was 'just ok' back then and really wasn't worth getting off the boat which was cool and had a glass bottom so you could see the cool sea grass, tubeworms, fish and crabs on the bottom

the island lost a bit of height during the hurricanes, and the one and only structure (bathrooms) blew into the bay

no trails or bathhouse or bathrooms or shade or camping

lots of snakes and the biggest spiders you ever saw are up in the woods on the high west end of the island by the pass

used to have a lot of shells until captain anderson started running 30+ folks out there every two hours, then the shell island shuttle got a bunch of money during the 1996 olympics and at least one shell island shuttle has been making 15 minute runs from st andrews state park for the last few years

you'll probably find more shells at the jetties in st andrews state park waiting for the shuttle to come

usually one person a year gets fried by lightning on the east end of the island at weakfish point

unless you are a hardy beach comber i'd say avoid it cause that's all there is

13. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Great responses and I'm optimistic we'll find more shells right on 30A this year. Aquaticbiology -- you are too funny (and honest)!

14. Rudyjohn

Rudyjohn SoWal Insider

I've always found LOTS of shells all my life and my house is full of what I've found since I was a little girl - - but you have to go at sunrise. You'd be surprised what all is there at that time. It's worth it.

15. Beachlover2

Beachlover2 Beach Fanatic

JR - you are so right - I walk the beach almost every morning when we are down there between 6 and 7 am - sometimes I am gone for 2 hours or more and on those days my husband knows I am coming back with treasures. :clap_1: :clap_1:

We leave them behind in various places around the condo and I am amazed at how very few have disappeared over the years. My crock pot is gone - but my shells are still around. :confused:

16. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

If you prefer to sleep in a little later you can be proactive and get a pair of goggles and go find them 'offshore'. I swim out to the sandbar with Mrs Skunkape on a noodle and simply swim to the bottom and probe with my hands. You can use a small net if you are chicken, but there are tons of shells not to mention interesting critters.

17. dbuck

dbuck Beach Fanatic

You be careful. Those sandbars further out in the water are where they say the sharks are. :eek:

18. 30A Skunkape

Yeah, and HWYs 30A and 98 are full of people operating multiton machines drunk, yapping on cellphones, speeding, etc. :pissed: I'll take my chances with the sharks. We can't live scared, people! :razz:

19. OnMackBayou

OnMackBayou Beach Lover

I took my 5 year old daughter to Shell Island last summer. The best part about the trip is the boat ride.

There isn't anything to see once you get to Shell Island. It's just a beach, and on our trip we had about an hour to goof around once we got there. My favorite memory was on the way back. Our tour boat reached a point where we were at a diagonal looking west down Panama City Beach, and all the old and new hi rise condos were in a nice line. My daughter shouted "Daddy, look! New York City!"

I glanced up and sure enough, the view was somewhat sadly, eerily similar.

20. 30A Skunkape

:pissed:
    :pissed: