• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Wastin Away

Beach Lover
Sep 20, 2005
I have some guests coming to Seagrove that are coming from Tampa. Which would be the best airport for them to fly into?

Joe Complete

Beach Lover
Nov 15, 2004
Taxahassee FL/Watercolor
We have picked up family and friends a number of times from both PFN and VPS and the drive times are similar from the Seagrove area. In most cases it comes down to which of those two airports has the best price or most accomodating arrival times.

If price is not an issue and convenience is, try DayJet as they fly into Destin. For last minute flights in the two-week range DayJet is sometimes cheaper than the major airlines.

scrltbegonya

Beach Fanatic
Dec 14, 2005
SRB
if i'm not mistaken, there are direct flights from tampa to vps (okaloosa-regional). avoiding atlanta is always nice.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
We have picked up family and friends a number of times from both PFN and VPS and the drive times are similar from the Seagrove area.

I have to respectfully disagree. I live in Seagrove and fly out of both airports frequently. Drive time to PFN is 40 minutes. It is uncommon for traffic to mess this up.

Drive time to VPS is 55 to 70 minutes, depending on traffic in Destin(i.e. daytime in July stinks, Sunday AM in Jan. is better). Going up 331 to 20 avoids the traffic but adds too much distance, for no net gain in drive time.

Usually, but not always, VPS is cheaper than PFN. I just bought a Ft. Lauderdale ticket out of PFN for $80 less than VPS.

I agree that avoiding the Atlanta connection is a good thing. Connecting regular Delta to commuter Delta there, you risk arriving without your bag if your connection is less than 90 minutes.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I've never flown into PC so I don't know prices, but I think VPS is the airport to fly into as you can pick them up and have a gorgeous drive along the bay and over the 331 bridge.

The drive from the PC airport is a whole lot of ugly/nothing.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
I've never flown into PC so I don't know prices, but I think VPS is the airport to fly into as you can pick them up and have a gorgeous drive along the bay and over the 331 bridge.

The drive from the PC airport is a whole lot of ugly/nothing.

True, if you take the 20/331 route.

I have to admit that, as much as I fly, I'm more into efficiency and convenience than in sightseeing. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I was flying in as a beach visitor.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Oh, I think PC and PCB is cleaning up their urban area with new leadership. Once you get to 79 the road opens up some and then you hit Walton County crossing the beautiful Lake Powell Coastal Dune Lake, Turn on 30A and voila -- welcome to paradise. The traffic being better to PC makes up a lot. Once that new airport gets built in say 2010, the 20 minute drive will be fab.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Go for PFN and have them drive thru Bay County, they'll be even MORE greatful to be on 30A.

Joe Complete

Beach Lover
Nov 15, 2004
Taxahassee FL/Watercolor
Drive time to VPS is 55 to 70 minutes, depending on traffic in Destin(i.e. daytime in July stinks, Sunday AM in Jan. is better).

Most of our trips to the VPS airport have been very late, usually around midnight. At that time we can drive it in about 50 minutes because many of the traffic lights are flashing and traffic is minimal. I can easily see your 70-minute drive time during high traffic hours.

The route we take is 98 to the mid-bay bridge, then 20.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
I personally would not find it practical to fly from Tampa and then rent a car, but everyone's situation is different. That said, if your renters would ever consider driving, on our last trip home we made it in under 6 hours without spending a minute on the interstate. :wave:

We will take this route the next time we head up to Seacrest. It was easy, there were few lights, there was very little traffic and we felt like we saw a bit of Old Florida.

From Tampa:

Take the Veterans Expressway all the way to the Suncoast Parkway. At the end of the Suncoast Parkway (589) jog west on 98 until you hit 19. This is where you'll hit a few lights as you go through Homosassa & Crystal River.

Keep going north on 19 until you reach Perry. Head west on 98 until you reach 267, which will take you to Highway 20. Go west on Highway 20 all the way to 79 if you like, then head south to 98 and then to 30-A, or keep going on 20 until you get to Highway 331 and go south over the bridge.

Last edited: