best raw oysters

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by sashay, Sep 20, 2009.

1. sashay

sashay Beach Comber

who has the best freshest shucked oysters right now?

2. Santiago

Santiago Beach Fanatic

Freshest is the key word here. Apalachicola Bay was closed to oyster harvesting recently, maybe it still it. Too much rain and fresh water. I'd give it a week or so.

3. cooper

cooper Beach Lover

Had a half dozen at Caliza a couple of weeks ago that were spectacular. Almost cancelled rest of dinner to instead just order several more courses!

4. TableFiveChef

TableFiveChef Beach Lover

The Hightide Lounge in FWB or Nick's in the sticks or Hunt's in Panama City. I only eat oysters where they shuck them in front of me. I have lived here my whole life and would not go anywhere but these 3 joints for fresh shucked Appy's!

5. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Ask the server or shucker where they are from. They're all equally fresh if they come from Apalachicola. Sometimes when they close the bay to harvesting oyster bars will get them from Louisiana.

6. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I disagree. Just because they are coming from Apalachicola doesn't mean they are equally fresh. Each oyster bag is tagged and dated, and they are NOT equally fresh at different restaurants.

7. 30abob

30abob Beach Lover

My "rule of thumb"... if the place moves a lot of raw oysters each day the better your chances of getting really fresh oysters.

I love 'em and have eaten them from most of the places they are available in SoWal. I have had "good" and "mixed" success. Some places pre-shuck, which is blasphemous in my opinion, and your chances of getting an oyster that's been hangin' out in a cooler too long go up considerably during slower periods of the day (if the oyster's look dryer than normal and have wrinkles around the edges you should risk being high maintenance and ask for a fresh dozen - you won't be happy).

8. Scooter

Scooter Beach Fanatic

Apalachicola oysters are very bland. Go to Acme oyster house in Baytowne Wharf. They have Louisiana oysters which are salty and yummy. Watch out for their horseradish. It's the hotest ever!!!!!!!

9. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

bland? Not sure where you have eaten your Apalachicola Oysters, but you probably got some watered down oysters while eating at a place you shouldn't have been eating oysters. When fresh, Apalachicola oysters are very salty and delicious. You can keep your Louisiana oysters. I've eaten Acme's.

I've eaten oysters at a few local restaurants, but I'd rather drive to Gene's, Hunt's or Capt.'s Table to eat raw oysters, in that order.

10. Arkiehawg

Arkiehawg Beach Fanatic

Bland huh.....

Perhaps that polluted Cajun water that those ole Louisiana oysters come from have tainted your taste buds....;-)

Acme...now that's funny:clap:

11. Iris

Iris Beach Fanatic

Hunts's is my number one! Where is Gene's?

12. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

A bland oyster is probably full of some nastiness. Usually if there's a lack of salt in the flavor then there's been a lot of rain and run off thus lowering the salt content in the bay. Same thing could definitely happen to a Louisiana Loogie.

13. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

...and sometimes I wonder if the restaurant rinses the oysters in fresh water to make them look fresh after too many in-advance openings. Or, maybe they soak them in fresh water too long while trying to wash them.

14. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Iris, I'll have to send you a pm about Gene's because there are only about 15 seats in the entire place, and I don't want to see a line out the door when I go for lunch.

15. TableFiveChef

TableFiveChef Beach Lover

The saltiness of the Apalachicola oyster or lack thereof has everything to do with the tides when they are harvested.

16. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

I personally wont be eating ANY oysters for a while due to all the flooding / rain to the north of us.

17. kit75

kit75 Beach Lover

Hey.
    THe oysters at Goatfeathers taste good. They even run a speical. Before 6 pm they are ony $4.99 a dozen. I enjoy them and normaly eat 3 dozen.

18. Franny

Franny Beach Fanatic

We had them recently at Goatfeathers and they were shucked for us and delish. Can't beat the price.;-)

19. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

20. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

What?

After some research it turns out that oysters are actually very good at regulating their own salinity level. The difference occurs when some processors "blow" the oysters. Essentially it's a similar process to what is done to crawfish/crayfish. It's to get the "nasty" out. Not all processors do this and the ones that do use the process vary from salt water, tap water, and well water. This is why you may occasionally get a chlorine taste in oysters.

So if you want an all natural oyster just ask if they are blown or not.