• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scrltbegonya

Beach Fanatic
Dec 14, 2005
SRB
So two young ladies came to my door this afternoon and for once, I actually answered it. They gave me a spill about how they are earning points for college by selling magazine subscriptions, told me what they planned to study, showed my some crappy credentials, yadda yadda...So, feeling very uneasy I did write them a check (my heartstrings...damn those things) for $12.50. Immediately after they left I googled youth of america and am press - needless to say, ripoffreport.com clearly states they are a scam. I walked to the neighbor's house and asked them for my check back and took the neighbor aside to tell him what was really going on. He was convinced they were trying to go to college. Whatever dude. Anyway, called the Sheriff's Office and reported it - apparently, that is the 3rd call received today. So BEWARE!

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
These girls are most likely being used by a group of even more unsavory jerks. Look in the classifieds for the "Rock n Roll Atmosphere" and "Blue Jeans Job" ads, and there you will find the companies that send these kids to your door. They promise travel and adventure, and pack these kids into vans and truck them across the country. They drop them off in a neighborhood and tell them they will pick them up if they sell X amount of subscriptions. They pack them into motel rooms and really scare them into selling. The pitch to you is usually a college plan or some trip they can win. You did the right thing, even though someone else will fall for it.

audie

fartblossom
May 15, 2005
we've had something similar with kids going around selling fake security signs that according to the police are actually supplied by adt. they say your house is guarded by a security system etc. i had some kid ring my doorbell at 9:30 at night to sell one, when i told him i wasn't interested he made a veiled threat like "what would you do if something happened to your home or your dog". after a rather heated exchange between us, i threatened to turn the dog loose after him and i immediately called the police. they had a nice long chat with this kid, i wasn't the first to call about him and he's not been seen around since.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Scarlet, I could have told you it was a scam. They used to come to my place in Athens all the time selling subscriptions to earn points in order to go on vacation, etc. Crappola!

scrltbegonya

Beach Fanatic
Dec 14, 2005
SRB
I know, I know...Rarely do I open the door at home let alone actually buy something...

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
They have been at this for years! They are either earning $ for a trip or the new one is...helping to keep them off drugs! I knew something was up when I decilined and tried to close my door. This kid was trying to open it and come in my house! I almost slammed the storm door on her fingers. She flipped me the bird on her way out. Anytime these people come around now, it's an immediate no. The first experience was the worst.
I'm glad you got your check back Scrlt!!!

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
we had a party of two actually climb the gate (its always locked) to get to the front door - i let the dog out the back door and waited - nothing - i opened the door and the stupid dog was getting a full-on tummy massage from one of them grinning from ear to ear - they didn't speak english properly (russian/czech) so i gave them five bucks each (in cash, so they didn't have to report it, and so they wouldn't have my checking account number) for the services to the dog, but didn't order anything

heh
Good job, Aquatic.
I've ordered magazine subscriptions twice, and actually received the magazines (at double, I am sure, the real price), but I like Aquatic's way of dealing with it.

That was back in Denver. None of those types of people make it out to this neck of the woods. We may not have all the conveniences, but we sure have escaped some of the hassles.