• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

prception69

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2005
Oxford,MS
What's the problem with using tents on the beach? When my family spent a week in Grayton 3 weeks ago we used a tent. I even asked the sheriffs deputy on duty if it was ok to leave it overnight and he told me as long as I had it tied down securely and took all my chairs and beach toys with me(to keep the tide from washing them down the beach) it would be fine to leave it overnight. One morning we came out to find that the tide had buried our tent anchors at least 18'' deeper into the sand. I simply dug the tent/anchors out and moved it back farther from the water.

We feel like we left the beach in better shape than we found it upon arrival. (We gathered up a lot of trash on our beach walks each day)

I plan on using my tent on future visits. I am sure some on this board sweat the petty things, such is human nature, but please LIGHTEN UP! The turtles need all of our help!

Hotty Toddy!

Rather B Paddlin

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
Hey Toddy,

I use a tent. I think people have a problem with the damaged or rusted tents left on the beach. In one week last summer, I personally disassembled and disposed of 2 damaged tents that were abandoned on the beach. Not to get into the whole gulf front ownership thing, but some gulf front owners do not want us using their legal property as defined by their deeds. For the most part if you take what you bring all will be well.

RBP

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
prception69 said:
What's the problem with using tents on the beach? When my family spent a week in Grayton 3 weeks ago we used a tent. I even asked the sheriffs deputy on duty if it was ok to leave it overnight and he told me as long as I had it tied down securely and took all my chairs and beach toys with me(to keep the tide from washing them down the beach) it would be fine to leave it overnight. One morning we came out to find that the tide had buried our tent anchors at least 18'' deeper into the sand. I simply dug the tent/anchors out and moved it back farther from the water.

We feel like we left the beach in better shape than we found it upon arrival. (We gathered up a lot of trash on our beach walks each day)

I plan on using my tent on future visits. I am sure some on this board sweat the petty things, such is human nature, but please LIGHTEN UP! The turtles need all of our help!

Hotty Toddy!

Hotty Toddy? The Ole Mrs. board is that way>>>>>

To answer your question, I don't think anyone has a problem with people using tents. But despite what the sheriff told you, most here would prefer you to strike your tent at the end of each day.

BTW, your last paragraph makes absolutely no sense.

From a non resident property owner perspective. I don't have that big of a problem with them. However from my observation over the last 3+ years, MOST people seem to forget they have a tent by the end of their trip and leave them for someone else to deal with.

At High Pointe, people will bring the dam things, set them up and all is fine. Then the first wind that blows their tent over and up on the dunes they seem to think the "blown over broken tent fairy" will come take care it.

Obviously you are one of the good and responsible tent users. As usual the irresponsible, redneck, slack, mouth breathing actions of many affect the few that are doing things right.

JMHO and :welcome: This board really is fun but this week people will be a little on edge cause of our buddy Dennis :bang:

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
Ask rental agencies to add it to their info to renters. It has to be spelled out. Take things to the beach each day, remove them each day. There is not a daily trash pickup service to remove your trash from the beach. You have to remove all of your belongings. It will ruin the view for others, etc. I think some more populated beach communities have daily trash sweepings and unfortunately, too many Americans think it is alright to leave your stuff for someone else to pickup after an event, movie, etc. Wow, we have a lot of work to do to change the mindset of too many Americans.

JustBeachy

Beach Lover
Jun 11, 2005
Blue Mtn. Beach
Also have to take care of the wild life at the beach..it's not that hard to take down your tent at the end of the day, and put it back up again the next day--we've been doing that for years.

Dennis go away!!!! We don't want any!

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
prception69 said:
The turtles need all of our help!

They do need our help, by not leaving tents out on the beach overnight for them to bump into while they are trying to find a place to nest!!!!

Just my humble opinion.

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
I don't mind the tents so much. It's the guys wearing speedos on the beach that really bother me.

lurker1

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2005
SoWal
Yes, most people that live here have an absolute bias against the tents on the beach. The reason is that most "tent people" leave their tents on the beach 24-hours per day, for the length of their stay. What gives them the right to "claim" prime space for the whole week? If that is not arrogance, what is it?

By the way, in SoWal I don't believe that it has anything to do with beachfront owners and property rights. It's about fairness.

Status
Not open for further replies.