Bias against tent users?

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by prception69, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prception69

prception69 Beach Comber

What's the problem with using tents on the beach? When my family spent a week in Grayton 3 weeks ago we used a tent. I even asked the sheriffs deputy on duty if it was ok to leave it overnight and he told me as long as I had it tied down securely and took all my chairs and beach toys with me(to keep the tide from washing them down the beach) it would be fine to leave it overnight. One morning we came out to find that the tide had buried our tent anchors at least 18'' deeper into the sand. I simply dug the tent/anchors out and moved it back farther from the water.

We feel like we left the beach in better shape than we found it upon arrival. (We gathered up a lot of trash on our beach walks each day)

I plan on using my tent on future visits. I am sure some on this board sweat the petty things, such is human nature, but please LIGHTEN UP! The turtles need all of our help!

Hotty Toddy!

2. Rather B Paddlin

Rather B Paddlin Beach Lover

Hey Toddy,

I use a tent. I think people have a problem with the damaged or rusted tents left on the beach. In one week last summer, I personally disassembled and disposed of 2 damaged tents that were abandoned on the beach. Not to get into the whole gulf front ownership thing, but some gulf front owners do not want us using their legal property as defined by their deeds. For the most part if you take what you bring all will be well.

RBP

3. JB

JB Beach Fanatic

Hotty Toddy? The Ole Mrs. board is that way>>>>>

To answer your question, I don't think anyone has a problem with people using tents. But despite what the sheriff told you, most here would prefer you to strike your tent at the end of each day.

BTW, your last paragraph makes absolutely no sense.

4. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

From a non resident property owner perspective. I don't have that big of a problem with them. However from my observation over the last 3+ years, MOST people seem to forget they have a tent by the end of their trip and leave them for someone else to deal with.

At High Pointe, people will bring the dam things, set them up and all is fine. Then the first wind that blows their tent over and up on the dunes they seem to think the "blown over broken tent fairy" will come take care it.

Obviously you are one of the good and responsible tent users. As usual the irresponsible, redneck, slack, mouth breathing actions of many affect the few that are doing things right.

JMHO and :welcome: This board really is fun but this week people will be a little on edge cause of our buddy Dennis :bang:

5. UofL

UofL Beach Fanatic

Ask rental agencies to add it to their info to renters. It has to be spelled out. Take things to the beach each day, remove them each day. There is not a daily trash pickup service to remove your trash from the beach. You have to remove all of your belongings. It will ruin the view for others, etc. I think some more populated beach communities have daily trash sweepings and unfortunately, too many Americans think it is alright to leave your stuff for someone else to pickup after an event, movie, etc. Wow, we have a lot of work to do to change the mindset of too many Americans.

6. JustBeachy

JustBeachy Beach Lover

Also have to take care of the wild life at the beach..it's not that hard to take down your tent at the end of the day, and put it back up again the next day--we've been doing that for years.

Dennis go away!!!! We don't want any!

7. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

They do need our help, by not leaving tents out on the beach overnight for them to bump into while they are trying to find a place to nest!!!!

Just my humble opinion.

8. Landlocked

Landlocked Beach Fanatic

I don't mind the tents so much. It's the guys wearing speedos on the beach that really bother me.

9. JustBeachy

JustBeachy Beach Lover

Kathy & I agree on this! :lol:

10. lurker1

lurker1 Beach Comber

Yes, most people that live here have an absolute bias against the tents on the beach. The reason is that most "tent people" leave their tents on the beach 24-hours per day, for the length of their stay. What gives them the right to "claim" prime space for the whole week? If that is not arrogance, what is it?

By the way, in SoWal I don't believe that it has anything to do with beachfront owners and property rights. It's about fairness.

11. prception69

prception69 Beach Comber

LMAO Landlocked! That was pretty funny! JB, nice attempt at humor. Don't quit your day job. But we all know that Auburn is the TRUE football power in Bummer.

Good luck to everyone that may have to deal with Dennis in the next few days!

12. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

Banana hammock :D

13. Rather B Paddlin

Lurker1,

What do you define as prime space???

I thought we had 20 miles of prime space.

Go out today, take a walk on the beach, and smile. The tents are the least of our problems over the next 72 hours.

14. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

When the wind picks them up and throws them through your plywood covered windows, you may have another opinion of the subject.

15. Rather B Paddlin

Better duck>>>>>>> The winds picking up...........

16. JB

JB Beach Fanatic

Whatever. You might want to check Ole Mrs' record vs. UA before running your mouth.

Ole Mrs: The arrogance of Alabama and the tradition of Vanderbilt.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  17. FoX

FoX Beach Fanatic

I really don't want to offend anyone, but the situation this year has officially gotten out of hand. Leaving items on the beach is illegal, but deputies are lazy and/or have other things to do. Their boss is not on them about bothering people who visit and spend money.

It's quickly becoming apparent that it is up to residents to educate visitors and possibly form patrols to help keep the beaches clean and safe. The beach service guys I'm sure would delight in spreading the word as it would be good for their business and they would get to vent their frustrations.

No one has anything against anyone else having fun, being comfortable, and relaxing. But there are just too many people enjoying our beaches now and something's got to give. Tents on the beach, along with all the stuff that comes with them, have gotten to be a real nuisance. Not only for the reason mentioned regarding the rude act of "reserving" spots, but for many other reasons too. Beach camps have become eyesores and dangerous. It is an extreme form of littering.

It has to come down to sensitivity and politeness. Ask yourself "what if everyone did it"? It would be quite a mess and we're getting to that point. If you don't understand that it is the wrong thing to do, then the majority of residents and visitors would like you to find another vacation spot.

18. FoX

FoX Beach Fanatic

26 miles of the most beautiful beaches in the world should be respected, not trashed.

Tents and other litter are our problem over the next 72 hours and 365 days a year.

19. FoX

FoX Beach Fanatic

RO

20. Rather B Paddlin

I totally agree. See above. If everyone would pick up their junk as well as junk left by others the beach would better for everyone. My pet peeeeeve is dog owners who let their dogs crap on the beach and then not not pick it up. My foot wedge found their little treasures 3 times last summer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.