• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ecopal

Beach Fanatic
Apr 26, 2005
Before you read this I want you to know that I love dogs (especially large ones), and cats .

But as many of us saw last night at the Telluride Film Festival, man's activities are drastically accelerating global warming/climate change.

Science news and science jobs from New Scientist - New Scientist article/mg204273 13.200-cute- fluffy-and- horribly- greedy.html? full=true&print=true

"Cute, fluffy and horribly greedy"

* 23 October 2009
* Magazine issue 2731. Subscribe and get 4 free issues.

excerpt: "...In a world of scarce resources, can we justify keeping pets that consume more than some people?
...the scale of the ecological crisis facing humanity. ...if we are going to continue to keep animals purely for our enjoyment then we have to face uncomfortable choices. "
...................................................................................
HOW much is that doggy in the window? Waggly tail or not, owning a pet comes at a far higher cost than you might imagine.

As you watch a large dog bounding out of the back of an SUV, you might mentally reprimand the owner for their choice of vehicle. You would do better to save your indignation for their choice of pet. Because, as we report on page 46, the ecological footprint of our companion animals can dwarf that of even the most gas-guzzling cars.

Man's best friend, it turns out, is the planet's enemy.

According to the authors of the new book Time to Eat the Dog, it takes 0.84 hectares of land to keep a medium-sized dog fed. In contrast, running a 4.6-litre Toyota Land Cruiser, including the energy required to construct the thing and drive it 10,000 kilometres a year, requires 0.41 hectares. Dogs are not the only environmental sinners. The eco-footprint of a cat equates to that of a Volkswagen Golf.

If that's troubling, there is an even more shocking comparison. In 2004, the average citizen of Vietnam had an ecological footprint of 0.76 hectares. For an Ethiopian, it was just 0.67 hectares. In a world where scarce resources are already hogged by the rich, can we really justify keeping pets that take more than some people?

In a world of scarce resources, can we justify keeping pets that consume more than some people?

Most consumers have come to accept the scale of the ecological crisis facing humanity. We grudgingly put out the recycling and use low-energy light bulbs. Giving up our pets in the name of sustainability may seem like a sacrifice too far, but if we are going to continue to keep animals purely for our enjoyment then we have to face uncomfortable choices.

The authors' suggestion - that we should recycle our pets by eating them or turning them into pet food at the end of their lives - is surely a non-starter. The prospect of keeping chickens instead of dogs and cats is also unlikely to appeal.

But there are more acceptable ways to reduce your pet's impact. Feeding the cat or dog leftovers will have an immediate effect - and also help do something about the scandal of food waste. Consumer power could also be brought to bear. A trip to any supermarket will tell you that there is a large and growing demand for "green" products, whether less-polluting washing powder or locally sourced food. There's no reason why the pet-food industry shouldn't get in on the act.

At the moment, pet-food manufacturers thrive by selling us the idea that only the best will do for our beloved animals, but once owners become more aware, what they demand from the industry is likely to change. The first manufacturer to offer a green, eco-friendly pet food could be onto a winner. Sustainable lifestyles require sacrifices, and even cats and dogs can be made to do their bit.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I find the hectare stat to be a little misleading - how do dogs and cats compare to other animals - even wild ones?

My guess is that many "useful" or "work" animals like elephants, horses, goats, sheep etc. also consume more than the Vietnamese or an Ethiopian.

Also trying to wrap my head around how acquiring and processing the raw materials, manufacturing the vehicle, and filling it with gas that has to be drilled, pumped and refined has so much less impact than Fido eating. :dunno:

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
The article is meant to scare us, and it ticks me off that there is no scientic data to back up the hysteria. However, the article is thought provoking, but I want to see more data.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I don't think it is necessarily meant to scare us - just make us aware of how many resources our "pets" consume.

The amount of money Americans spend on their pets is amazing - most pet dogs in the US have a higher standard of living and better medical care than most of the humans in the world.

So it would certainly follow that if we could turn some of that money and consumer frenzy to more ecologically friendly products and practices it would make an impact.

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
My dog gets the left over ends of my daily sweet potato, sometimes her own, some left over "greens" and some very inexpensive pet food from Slanker's grass fed beef (healthy by products) combined with a bulk order of Nature's Recipe vegan dog food. I think her impact is not so much.

Still, I love THINKING about more and more ways to reduce impact. We can pick and choose too. There may be those with several pets who choose to reduce impact in other areas. That's the good thing about sharing info.

G

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I guess we need to plant more gardens! I don't know, I look out my window and all I see are woods. Hard for me to wrap my head around the stats saying we are running out. Not included in those figures are the usefullness of our pets, nor suggestions of what we are supposed to do with them! I have a problem with just putting them out, or "down" for no particular reason other than they are eating too much!

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
There are too many unwanted pets on this earth and they have a relatively short life span compared to humans. My suggestion would be to out law puppy mills and adopt pets from shelters. I have three dogs, all that needed homes. Fine irresponsible pet owners.