• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

iqueequeg

Beach Lover
Feb 2, 2005
Snowy Boston
I noticed last time I visited that some of the more serious bikers (of the type without engines) rode on 30a instead of the bike path. Is it proper bike path etiquette to go on the road instead of the path if you're going fast?

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
iqueequeg said:
I noticed last time I visited that some of the more serious bikers (of the type without engines) rode on 30a instead of the bike path. Is it proper bike path etiquette to go on the road instead of the path if you're going fast?

A lot of the bike path is too bumpy for road bike (as opposed to a mountain bike or cruiser) at speed. If you're on a bike with skinny high-pressure tires, 30A is the only way to ride at the proper speed. It's also more than a little scary passing a walker at 20 MPH, for both cyclist and walker. :bicycle:

The fat tires and lower speed of cruisers and mountain bikes are fine on the bike/walking path.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
TreeFrog said:
A lot of the bike path is too bumpy for road bike (as opposed to a mountain bike or cruiser) at speed. If you're on a bike with skinny high-pressure tires, 30A is the only way to ride at the proper speed. It's also more than a little scary passing a walker at 20 MPH, for both cyclist and walker. :bicycle:

The fat tires and lower speed of cruisers and mountain bikes are fine on the bike/walking path.
Ditto!!!

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
I'd like to add that after a week of riding bicycles on 30-A, it's really important to keep your wits about you as you approach driveways and crossroads, whether you're riding on the road or the path. I've noticed that cars are looking for other cars, not bikes. Be careful or you run the risk of being road kill. :bang:

GVM

Beach Lover
Dec 25, 2004
Can someone clarify? Are bicyclists required by law to observe stop signs...such as at the intersection of 395 and 30-A...or can that breeze on through where there's a white striped pedistrian area?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
GVM said:
Can someone clarify? Are bicyclists required by law to observe stop signs...such as at the intersection of 395 and 30-A...or can that breeze on through where there's a white striped pedistrian area?
When bicycles are ridden on the road, they are required to follow the same laws as motor vehicles. If they are being pushed across a crosswalk, they are to follow the pedistrian rules. In most cities, it is against the law to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk. Here, we have a multi-user path, often referred to as the bike path, which allows for bicyles and pedistrians, but no motorized vehicles.

Please do not run over all of the improperly operating bicylists pedaling all over 30A. They are tourists and do not ride bicycles often, nor do they know the basic rules in our lovely little town -- Well, most of them don't. ;-) Put on your thinking cap, and realize that you could easily kill them by hitting them in your car, so slow down and expect the unexpected. Getting upset will only cause more stress in your life. (okay, I am done talking to the mirror. :blush:)

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
My understanding is that bicycles in the road must act like, and be treated like, any other vehicle. That does mean stopping at marked intersections. It also means they are not allowed to pass on the right (like they always do) and cars/trucks are not allowed to pass them in a no-passing zone (like they always do).

I drive 30-A every day. A lot. It is no less bumpy than the bike path--the potholes are pretty bad. The traffic is also bad. If you don't like passing a pedestrian at 20 mph then you're really not going to like having a dump truck at 45 mph passing you. And the rednecks behind the wheel don't like it much either, especially after sitting behind you for several minutes.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SlowMovin said:
My understanding is that bicycles in the road must act like, and be treated like, any other vehicle. That does mean stopping at marked intersections. It also means they are not allowed to pass on the right (like they always do) and cars/trucks are not allowed to pass them in a no-passing zone (like they always do).

I drive 30-A every day. A lot. It is no less bumpy than the bike path--the potholes are pretty bad. The traffic is also bad. If you don't like passing a pedestrian at 20 mph then you're really not going to like having a dump truck at 45 mph passing you. And the rednecks behind the wheel don't like it much either, especially after sitting behind you for several minutes.

...but I bet you have not ridden a road bike on the bike path for any distance, or else you would know there is much difference. ;-)

There is nothing more exciting and nothing closer to death than a speeding log truck passing you while on your bicycle, riding the open road. :eek:

GVM

Beach Lover
Dec 25, 2004
My question wasn't clear. If the bicycle is in the bike lane/sidewalk...does the law allow the bicycle to proceed without stopping when they come to the flashing red light on 30-A at 395? I'm not gonna run over any one, I'd just like to know the law.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
GVM said:
My question wasn't clear. If the bicycle is in the bike lane/sidewalk...does the law allow the bicycle to proceed without stopping when they come to the flashing red light on 30-A at 395? I'm not gonna run over any one, I'd just like to know the law.
Hopefully, I understand your question. If not try rephrasing it giving more specifics.

If the bicyclist is crossing the street, (north side of 30A at the 395 intersection) the bicycle is required by law to stop at the crosswalk, dismount, and cross the street as a pedestrian.