• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

seal

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2006
I see the photo of the pgymy rattlesnake. For those of you that have riden this trail, how bad were the snakes? What snakes did you see?

I was thinking of riding this, and wanted to take my dog.

Any insights, comments, suggestions would be great!

Jim Boothe

Beach Comber
Mar 31, 2014
I see the photo of the pgymy rattlesnake. For those of you that have riden this trail, how bad were the snakes? What snakes did you see? I was thinking of riding this, and wanted to take my dog. Any insights, comments, suggestions would be great!

I'll be in South Walton this Saturday (for 8 days), and I'd also like to hike or bike in Point Washington, and was curious about the rattlers and water moccasins.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Snakes are not really a problem on the wider portions of the trail which is where most people spend their time. You have a good view ahead and around you. The farther you go, the narrower the trails get. Snakes only bother me when I surprise them so I'm sure to let them know I'm coming. The moccasins are only a concern around the wet areas so use extra caution near water. If you get too close to them they will turn and face you. Stare down time!

I've biked and hiked many miles in SoWal and only seen a few poisonous vipers and they were mostly headed the other way. If you like to get off the trail and into heavier brush then you'll want some boots and jeans.

And then there was the time I was biking a trail near the lake cruising along and hopping logs and at the last second realized the next one I was about to hop over was an 8 foot gator. Thankfully he didn't move and I kept cruising. But that was in Gainesville.

Last edited:

Jim Boothe

Beach Comber
Mar 31, 2014
Thanks for the insight Kurt. I come down to SoWal from MI every year, but have not ventured into the woods yet. I'd like to get out there this year though. I also paddle board in the lakes, so I was concerned about moccasins too. I saw a decent sized gator in a small lake behind Beachfront condos in Seagrove last year. The key to the unknown, is to always use caution and better judgement I suppose.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I regularly run the trail between the trailhead on Satinwood and 83. It's narrow...like one person wide in a lot of spots. Have never run across critters of the nasty sort. That's not to say they aren't there, but they are probably more worried about us than vice versa...

jkmason

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2014
I walk and bike the state forest trail from the trail head at satinwood, across 83 and over to the 283. I often bring my dog with me. Formerly from Southern California and arizona, I too am wary of poisonous snakes. Here is what I have seen over the past two years: One Pygmy rattlesnake, one black snake and one huge brown snake.

All of my snake encounters were off the main trail. My dog and I almost walked on top of the Pygmy. I just caught him out of the corner of my eye about 5' away. So small all coiled up and they blend in beautifully. Stay on the well travelled trails and you significantly reduce your risk of an encounter.