• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
The E.O. Wilson Biophilia Center is a diamond in the rough. It is a very useful tool for all who are willing to learn but especially for our school children. Unfortunately, it sits in the middle of nowhere and many do not know of its existence. It needs to be more sucessfully promoted by Walton County. Some of us get so hung up on the spending of our bucks that we can't realize when they are used wisely and for all's benefit. There is plenty of waste regarding our tax dollars in this nation. The money used to promote the Biophilia Center was not among them. It must have worked. They are not seeking public funds this year. If you haven't visited this treasure, I strongly suggest you do so.

Beginning in June, it will not be as easy to visit, with no more public hours after the end of May, once the agreement with the TDC is terminated. The regular Saturday programs will be ending at that time too.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Beginning in June, it will not be as easy to visit, with no more public hours after the end of May, once the agreement with the TDC is terminated. The regular Saturday programs will be ending at that time too.
This is sad. If it is true, some way should be found to take away their tax exempt status for the land it owns.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
This is sad. If it is true, some way should be found to take away their tax exempt status for the land it owns.
The voters, I believe, approved an amendment exempting land set aside for 'conservation' from property taxes a few years ago. I voted no. I usually vote no on all constitutional amendments. The hidden agendas are usually hard to detect.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I agree with your assessment on Constitutional Amendments, j.p.. I guess I didn't know they were exempt. Another tax ploy by special interest groups.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Why should they lose their tax exempt status? Even if they are not open to the public, they will still be educating our kids.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Why should they lose their tax exempt status? Even if they are not open to the public, they will still be educating our kids.

I thought educating our kids was the function of schools and parents. And some of us might not want our kids going on field trips to such places. I wasn't thrilled about my kid having to endure that movie that Goofy Al Gore made when he was going to South Walton High School.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
I thought educating our kids was the function of schools and parents. And some of us might not want our kids going on field trips to such places. I wasn't thrilled about my kid having to endure that movie that Goofy Al Gore made when he was going to South Walton High School.

"such place"? Holy ecology batman! I don't know where to start. Have you ever been there? Even looked at the website?

Putting climate change and Al Gore aside for a moment,the Biophilia center teaches biology and it is real. Are you worried kids might squeeze in a few facts about genetics and evolution?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I am all for granting a property tax exemption for land donated for conservation. How else will we ever have any open spaces? Why is this a bad thing?