• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Just a heads up. A black bear was sighted over the weekend crossing to the south side Hwy 98 from Watersound North. A very surprised motorist also saw the bear cross Watersound Parkway this morning at about 8:00 a.m.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Thanks CCK and good to see you!!!

I would be very surprised to come across a black bear in our little town. But we know they live here! Three workshops have been given to the public just recently - Living in Bear Country - presented by the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC).

workshops were held in PCB, Seaside and FWB.

Alan Knothe, the Wildlife Assistance Biologist for the Northwest Region for FWC, invites you to come learn about bear safety & Management. There are benefits to living in harmony with bears. Natural areas that support bears are home to many other animal species. Learn all about bears and the best ways to prevent them from becoming a nuisance on your property. These same steps help to prevent other animals from becoming problems. FWC?s new 15 min. DVD ?Living with Florida Black Bears? will also be shown

The talk is FREE & open to the public. For more information contact Alan at (850) 265-3676 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (850) 265-3676 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.

Also, the Defuniak Herald printed an excellent article last week about our bears, including the information covered in the workshops.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I attended the SWCC movie about Living with the Bears -

bottom line- do not leave your garbage outside, and if you do, get bear-proof garbage bins. We keep ours in the garage until the morning of pickup. If you have food out, they will come. Males have a 60 mile home range, females about 15.

Apparently raccoons are the "gateway animal"=- if they are getting in your garbage, bears are next!

They also recommend that you don't put out birdfeed- bears love this stuff.

zip3

Beach Lover
Jul 24, 2010
There was a black bear spotted behind a house on Cullman Ave. in Seagrove by the Sea in Seagrove last week.

akram

Beach Crab
Oct 16, 2010
you must took his photos and place here...but you forgot i think

Last edited:

seagrover

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2004
Seagrove Beach, FL
zip3, probably the same bear I hear about last week here in Grove by the Sea on N Andalusia. One was seen earlier in the next subdivision, Beach Wood several months back.