• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Hi T. Cline...I was at Alaqua yesterday when you were there. Wish I had known who you were! Katy/Maddie is one pretty and very lucky girl. You have a great big heart. They gave her a bath right after you left. I am going up tomorow to see about fostering a sweet little girl that has had an unfortunate lot in life and needs some serious TLC. I walked dogs yesterday and can't get her out of my mind. I know Katy must be a very happy girl this weekend.

awww thats so cool...which girl? I am going up tomorrow morning to start photographing the "less adoptable" dogs for my profiling, I will be sure to get her photo.

Katy spent the day revealing her true nature and she is more than wonderful, loving and smart. When she comes up for some Labby Love you can tell she is soooo grateful to be home.
Today she had her first marrow bone,,,didnt seem to know what it was till her sibs showed her the way...LOL! and she also got to play in the street (dead end-no traffic) with the neighbor Labby and her sibs like a real homey..a north grayton dog. She also had her first swim in the bay...she was in heaven!

good luck with your new foster furkid!

Last edited:
The beautiful girl in my avatar (Scout) has been with me for 14 1/2 years. She is spoiled rotten and I wouldn't have it any other way. I love her with all my heart. She is the smartest, most intuitive dog that I have ever lived with...or even heard of. She understands most everything I tell her and does just what she is asked...no yelling or discipline necessary after her initial training as a puppy.

When she learned the word "beach" (her favorite place to go) we (my wife and I) started spelling it out. It took her about a week to figure out that we were spelling "beach" and she started to get excited when we spelled it. There is no way to hide it from her at this time. If we think beach and try to communicate it to each other, she knows it.

We use many hand signals to "speak" to her, but she also knows the difference between front yard and back yard, Jeep and car, and the names of all of her 15 toys. If you tell her to go and get the sheep to play and she wants to play with her lobster, she will go and grab the sheep (to show you that she knows what you mean), fling it back on the toy pile, and bring you the lobster.

As she is in her twilight years, we treasure every moment with our little adopted black/Chow/Labrador/ American girl and will miss her more than we can imagine when she is gone.

Anyone who thinks Chows, any black dog, or any large dog is trouble they should think again. There is no such thing as a bad dog, just bad owners. If you want unconditional love, get a good dog, train it well, and have a lifetime of wonderful memories.

T.Cline, you may use this post in any way that may help you in adopting big, black dogs to people who will never regret doing so. Our little girl has been one of the greatest experiences we could have ever wanted out of life.

Danny Burns
Scout's Human

wonderful story ,,,thank you for sharing it!,,,I would love to incorporate it into the presentation of the BLACK DOG SOCIETY PAGE, would you mind sending a picture?
thanks so much

Samuelsgran

Beach Lover
May 11, 2009
South Al
This is interesting, when I adopted my 3rd black dog, someone mentioned it was nice of me to pick the black one over one of the brown ones (Aussie's). :dunno:

All of my babies needed a home and I either found them or they found me, and they are all black. It wasn't a preferrence thing, it just happened the way it did.

Do you think the black dog syndrome is because a black dog appears to be more menacing????

My avatar is my black beauty Gracie. She was adopted. It took my husband a full year to gain her trust.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
awww thats so cool...which girl? I am going up tomorrow morning to start photographing the "less adoptable" dogs for my profiling, I will be sure to get her photo.

Katy spent the day revealing her true nature and she is more than wonderful, loving and smart. When she comes up for some Labby Love you can tell she is soooo grateful to be home.
Today she had her first marrow bone,,,didnt seem to know what it was till her sibs showed her the way...LOL! and she also got to play in the street (dead end-no traffic) with the neighbor Labby and her sibs like a real homey..a north grayton dog. She also had her first swim in the bay...she was in heaven!

you have an awesome family!!!:wave: love the pics. keep 'em coming.

klauricella

Beach Lover
Dec 19, 2007
Freeport

Ahhh what great pictures!!!

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
image.php

That is just the silliest thing that people don't want black haired animals as much as others! Merman and I adopted our black cat Sammy from the local shelter and he's been the best cat we've ever been lucky enough to live with, hands down. Look how my boys are relaxing on a Sunday morning. :lol: Is that not the picture of love?

image.php

That is just the silliest thing that people don't want black haired animals as much as others! Merman and I adopted our black cat Sammy from the local shelter and he's been the best cat we've ever been lucky enough to live with, hands down. Look how my boys are relaxing on a Sunday morning. :lol: Is that not the picture of love?
I didn't notice the cat. That is a picture of a sexy man.:D

Daughter adopted a black cat from the Atlanta Humane Society. They interview potential owners of black cats very carefully to avoid any ritualistic activities. And they don't allow black cats to be adopted in October.

I didn't notice the cat. That is a picture of a sexy man.:D

Daughter adopted a black cat from the Atlanta Humane Society. They interview potential owners of black cats very carefully to avoid any ritualistic activities. And they don't allow black cats to be adopted in October.

thats wild,,,to think of someone using a black animal for ritual or worse..:sosad:

I was on one of the many Atlanta area rescue sites a few days ago...and I literally got ill from the reality of so many Labradors and Lab mixes on there, I had to just turn away from this site. It should be made mandatory to stay/neuter to get dog tags in Atlanta area. Why so many Labs in Atlanta? I dont get that?:dunno: