• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

lsucajuns

Beach Lover
Jun 10, 2008
Dune Allen
hendersonscott66.wix.com
hey guy's and gals
It's been a long time that I went out crabbing for blues! Went often when living in Louisiana, but can't seem to find out where a good place to go here. can anyone get me in a good spot? I will split the catch with you! Just talking about a place to tie a chicken neck on a string and pull them in! PM me if you want it to be between you and I :cool:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Good luck, I used to have great luck with a trap on my dock in Seagrove, but then Eastern Lake effectively went freshwater. 30Abandman regularly catches freshwater bass in it now.

We tried in the bay, but only got babies.

Growing up the only way we have had feast quantities was with traps. Some rancid chicken and at least 24 hours you should be set.

Without a commercial fishing license you'll be limited to a 5 gallon bucket per person per day.

Come to think of it we watched a guy walk across the mouth of Western Lake outfall during a break last year and he had half a bucket in a matter of minutes with a net. You might have luck in there.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
The FWC changes some rules back in December. The new book out no longer has the 5" minimum rule in it. I don't understand because there's hardly enough meat on a 5" crab for the effort.

Also, the new limit is 10 gallons per harvester per day instead of 5.

Here's the link to the current regulations page good until July 1, 2011.

http://myfwc.com/media/1349466/2011_jan_sw-chart.pdf

lsucajuns

Beach Lover
Jun 10, 2008
Dune Allen
hendersonscott66.wix.com
swgb, wow I am impressed, this is the first post I have seen where you don't blow it up! Just kidding! Thanks for the info! I have caught a few in Eastern and some very larger, but it would take weeks to get enough to eat! Have not tried Western. And yes I have caught some really nice bass in Western.
Ash, I have the new book, and read it front to back, want to stay on the right side of the law!
Might have to catch up with you one day so you can show me how to catch the big ones off the beach. All I get is Lady fish!

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
swgb, wow I am impressed, this is the first post I have seen where you don't blow it up! Just kidding! Thanks for the info! I have caught a few in Eastern and some very larger, but it would take weeks to get enough to eat! Have not tried Western. And yes I have caught some really nice bass in Western.
Ash, I have the new book, and read it front to back, want to stay on the right side of the law!
Might have to catch up with you one day so you can show me how to catch the big ones off the beach. All I get is Lady fish!

Thanks, when I caught crabs in Eastern I would steam them, pick them, and freeze the meat. Made some awesome crab cakes when I got enough.

I've found that hand reeling in pompano is the way to go.