• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DuneDog

Beach Lover
Feb 4, 2006
Some time ago a friend told me that there was a place to launch a boat that had access to the Gulf near Grayton Beach. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so where is it?

No one has answered you in a while, so I'll try. I know that you can launch boats into the Gulf at Grayton because my sister has a friend that her family goes out with every time they're at her home at SoWal. We still have grouper in the freezer from their post-Christmas fishing expedition. Yum!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
For launching INTO the Gulf, Grayton Beach is the only place around to do that and a launching permit and a beach permit is required. Caution: you better know what the heck you are doing if you have never lauched or loaded in or from the Gulf.

For launching into the Bay or canals that lead to the Bay, which will get you access to the Gulf by crusing about 28 miles, there are several located fairly closely to Grayton, back near the Bay. No permit is needed.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
DuneDog said:
Who issues the permits?
The Clerk of Courts did in the past, but I think they may have turned it over to the Tax Collector along with the dog permits.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
Smiling JOe said:
Caution: you better know what the heck you are doing if you have never lauched or loaded in or from the Gulf.

he's not joking. you could drown or ruin/lose the boat or 4wd truck or both. even someone launching a single, light, watertight jet ski directly into the surf can be loads of entertainment to watch, but not so great for them as the waves slam the boat almost into the truck bed then pull it back off the trailer, again and again, all the while the trailer wheels sink deeper and deeper into the underwater sand and the inevitable tow-truck is finally called to pull the trailer out of the wet sand and the jet ski out of the surf and finally onto the trailer, bashed, battered and beginning to corrode over every inch of its surface.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
...and while on the subject, it is illegal to launch a personal watercraft, eg-jetski, from the beach at Grayton.

scrltbegonya

Beach Fanatic
Dec 14, 2005
SRB
aquaticbiology said:
he's not joking. you could drown or ruin/lose the boat or 4wd truck or both. even someone launching a single, light, watertight jet ski directly into the surf can be loads of entertainment to watch, but not so great for them as the waves slam the boat almost into the truck bed then pull it back off the trailer, again and again, all the while the trailer wheels sink deeper and deeper into the underwater sand and the inevitable tow-truck is finally called to pull the trailer out of the wet sand and the jet ski out of the surf and finally onto the trailer, bashed, battered and beginning to corrode over every inch of its surface.

Or have to pull the boat out parallel to the water and run over every person sitting on the beach. My boyfriend and his buddy, who have lived and played here since they were wee ones, sometimes have to "work" to get the boat out. And, since they often launch at 5 am when nobody is yet on the beach, when they return, people are located nearly on top of their trucks which makes it even harder. My suggestion to anyone about to set up camp in Grayton is to be aware of where the trucks with trailers are and lounge accordingly. Just makes it easier for everyone to have a happy day!

DuneDog

Beach Lover
Feb 4, 2006
aquaticbiology said:

The Horror.....