• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Bonerama (New Orleans Brass Funk Rock)
Thur, June 12, 2008
7:00pm
Pier Park
Panama City Beach

"When Bonerama struts onstage with its four-trombone frontline, you can guess it's not quite like any rock 'n' roll band you?ve seen. When they tear into some vintage New Orleans funk, there's no questioning from which city these guys hail. And when those ?bones start ripping into Hendrix and Led Zeppelin licks, all stylistic bets are off....

New Orleans? fertile club scene was directly responsible for Bonerama getting together. Trombonists Mullins and Craig Klein were both members of Harry Connick's band, where they'd been since 1990. Both were looking to supplement this gig with something a little less structured. "Harry sets the bar pretty high, and you have to play it the same way every night for everyone to follow."

The big chance came in the summer of ?98, when Mullins had a weekly residency at Tipitina's in the French Quarter. The club was then turning weekly slots over to some of the city's favorite musicians, including Allen Toussaint and Cyril Neville; Mullins got charge of Wednesdays. Word got out one week that he and Klein were staging their trombone super-session and everybody they knew wanted to get involved. "It seemed that half the trombone players in town showed up," Klein recalls. "At the end of the night we had them all onstage, maybe fifteen trombones at once. It sounded like a freight train; a big wall of sound coming right at you...." (read more)

Bobskunk

Beach Lover
Jan 14, 2008
Coming Home for show

Will be in N.O. during the week, but I am going to drive in on Thursday early enough to make the show, me. I love me some Bonerama too, me.

Bobskunk

Beach Lover
Jan 14, 2008
Trumbone Week

This appears to be my week to get my fill of Trumbone music. I'll be at the concert in Lafayette square in N.O. on Wednesday night, where Trumbone Shorty is the featured performer, and at Pier Park for Bonerama. See you there.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
This appears to be my week to get my fill of Trumbone music. I'll be at the concert in Lafayette square in N.O. on Wednesday night, where Trumbone Shorty is the featured performer, and at Pier Park for Bonerama. See you there.

I miss those afternoons in the square! Have an Abita for me!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1ue086afNY&feature=related"]YouTube - Bonerama on CNN[/ame]

Bobskunk

Beach Lover
Jan 14, 2008
Did it

Skunkape,
I had an Abita for you, one for me, and a couple more just to be sure I did not leave anyone out. Great clip of Bonerama. Looking forward to tonight. I happen to be back in N.O. next week. Unfortunately, Bag O' Donuts is getting the last spot at Lafayette Square. Oh well, it's still a fun outing, and they are amusing.

butterbean

Beach Fanatic
Jun 15, 2006
Bonerama was killer, Pier Park puts on a great spot for music, you can bring your own, very kid friendly if you don't mind em (I like my kids scattered and covered with ketchup and hot sauce). Very clean crowd and they feature a restaurant, in this case Hofbrau, and they sold brats, so all in all, a great, free Thurs. concert. Maybe it was me, but babes abounded if you don't mind em(I like my babes scattered and covered, well you get the pic)!