• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

leecotton84

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2008
Can someone please explain the process of getting a permit so you can have a fire on the beach. I heard it costs like 50 bucks and they give you a barrel or something to burn in. Is it worth the trouble and once you get the permit can you have to fire anywhere on the beach in walton county?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
$50 cash only at the Sheriff's substation. I've heard they are no longer lending barrels and that you have to bring your own for them to approve before issuing permit. As far as I know you can have the bonfire on any public county beach, not State land or private property unless you own it.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
$50 cash only at the Sheriff's substation. I've heard they are no longer lending barrels and that you have to bring your own for them to approve before issuing permit. As far as I know you can have the bonfire on any public county beach, not State land or private property unless you own it.

It is correct about the barrels. I believe Southbay Ace knows which ones work.

P.S. Don't try to take it out at night. Cover it completely in sand and retreive it in the morning. Unless you have asbestos hands.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
It is correct about the barrels. I believe Southbay Ace knows which ones work.

P.S. Don't try to take it out at night. Cover it completely in sand and retreive it in the morning. Unless you have asbestos hands.

I hear you. Sounds like a next day retrieval for sure. Also, plan for it so you let it burn down as much as possible before you leave and for sure cover well with sand.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
how do you find the barrel the next day, after it is completely covered in sand? I can understand wanting to make sure the fire itself is completely extinguished with sand, but the entire barrel?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Good question - the barrel should not be put into a hole, keep it above the sand and place sand in the barrel after it burns down.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
how do you find the barrel the next day, after it is completely covered in sand? I can understand wanting to make sure the fire itself is completely extinguished with sand, but the entire barrel?

That's a question for Canuck or Geo, I've only ever done the setup or extinguishing. :cool:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Also make sure you have your permit with you on the beach. Ziploc bags work great for this.