• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
Our boy broke his arm last Friday and is bored out of his skull. He is in a splint and won't get a hard cast until Wednesday. We are trying to keep him somewhat under wraps, no running and jumping with our other boys :sosad:
Any thoughts on activities to keep him occupied? I hate to stick him front of a video game day after day.
Yesterday he colored, it will be six months before he will want to do that again. We have made snow cones, played chess, set up a mini golf course, played Planet Earth...bottom line, I have to get my own work done.

Any thoughts on activities to keep him occupied? His elbow is stuck in the bent position, he is left handed and that is the one he broke, he can't get wet :dunno:

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
Our boy broke his arm last Friday and is bored out of his skull. He is in a splint and won't get a hard cast until Wednesday. We are trying to keep him somewhat under wraps, no running and jumping with our other boys :sosad:
Any thoughts on activities to keep him occupied? I hate to stick him front of a video game day after day.
Yesterday he colored, it will be six months before he will want to do that again. We have made snow cones, played chess, set up a mini golf course, played Planet Earth...bottom line, I have to get my own work done.

Any thoughts on activities to keep him occupied? His elbow is stuck in the bent position, he is left handed and that is the one he broke, he can't get wet :dunno:

It would be a lot easier if he had his hard cast already. That's a long time to wait!
My 11 yr old son would be watching Discovery and the military channel and playing video games. I'm sure your son as already done enough of both. I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions.

How did he break it?
My neighbor's on just broke his collarbone playing lacrosse the other day.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Is he too old for the eye spy books? They take up huge amounts of time when one gets into them. My wife just took a small pile of them North to visit the Grandbabies. We troll the thrift stores looking for them.

ktschris

Beach Fanatic
Nov 18, 2004
St. Louis
Sorry to hear about your son.

Sign him up with his own SoWal name. Lurking can be fun and before you know it hours have gone by! :cool:

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Do you think he'd like to go hiking on some of the trails in SoWal? The one over in Cassine Garden is short and ends up by the lake. There's even a picnic table.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Is he too old for the eye spy books? They take up huge amounts of time when one gets into them. My wife just took a small pile of them North to visit the Grandbabies. We troll the thrift stores looking for them.
When my son was 11 he loved maze books. There are some really hard, more intricate ones at the better book stores or libraries.

(and he's broken the same arm 3 times already! )

Last edited by a moderator:

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions, right now he is laying upside down on the couch, that'll keep him busy for 10 minutes.
He fell off the teeter totter, put his hand down to stop himself and broke both of the bones in his arm. Something so minor caused some major stuff. The doc put a rod in each bone to stabilize it while it heals Apparently this is SOP, not like when we were kids and they set it and if it grew back a little crooked, oh well. By the way, the docs and nurses at Sacred Heart are absolutely wonderful!!!!!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Legos, jigsaw puzzles, board games, and comic books/books kept us occupied as kids.

Seriously, I'd just go to Perpetual Imagination and drop some $ - worth it for educational toys and peace of mind IMO. :D

Romeosmydog

Beach Fanatic
Nov 6, 2007
here
When Brody broke his arm the Dr. put a cast on him that could get wet. He swam and surfed with his Dad everyday! You might wanna ask the Dr. about it. Otherwise (if you live here) Perpetual Imagination is great! lots of science toys i.e. digging for fossils, growing crystals, all can be done with one hand. So sorry to hear about the little guy.

Romeosmydog

Beach Fanatic
Nov 6, 2007
here
Legos, jigsaw puzzles, board games, and comic books/books kept us occupied as kids.

Seriously, I'd just go to Perpetual Imagination and drop some $ - worth it for educational toys and peace of mind IMO. :D

GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE!! too funny.