• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
kurt said:
As for traffic, don't blame visitors, blame those that allow overdvelopment without adequate infrastructure. Or those that ignore the sensible option of controlling and/or limiting development in order to limit impacts.

I Agree.

Before we bought in 2000, we heard from a number of sources (a couple of contractors and realtors) that Walton County was one of the most anti-development places in Florida, and I considered that a real bonus. Since then, I haven't seen a lot of evidence to support that view, and much more to support the contrary view. The lots are getting smaller, the setbacks are getting narrower, and guidelines in the comprehensive development plan are either being ignored or somehow sidestepped.

I think one of the problems with most of the tourists -- aka absentee owners -- is that we have no official vote in what goes on in SoWal. I wish we did have a vote in things like the development of boys and girls clubs, controlling development, and protecting the quality of life in SoWal for future generations. Unfortunately, we don't.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
You have a voice on this board and I know of 3 County Commisioners that read this board regularly, and 1 that posts. I suspect the other two read the board also. There are also other officials and TDC members here.

There are also several organizations you may want to join/contribute to, that help out those who don't live here.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I think one of the problems with most of the tourists -- aka absentee owners -- is that we have no official vote in what goes on in SoWal. I wish we did have a vote in things like the development of boys and girls clubs, controlling development, and protecting the quality of life in SoWal for future generations. Unfortunately, we don't.

I beg to differ. As an absentee owner, you are a local taxpayer, and do have a say in local gov't if you choose to speak. Whether or not someone listens is still questionable, but you do have the right to speak and be heard at public forums on all local projects. Unfortunately, no absentee owners, or very few, who truely care about the issues, have the ability to attend the meetings on a regular basis. Heck, it sounds like you guys don't even have much time to get down here and enjoy the Beach, much less get involved in politics.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
One of the reasons I frequent this board is because I find it's the best interactive communication channel on all things South Walton. However, I did not know there was any representation or monitoring of the board by county officials. If that's true, I'd like to say a couple of things:

1) If commisioners and county officials post to and read this board, that is encouraging.

2) Is there any chance of making that a little more official? How about a forum specifically to support public dialogs between owners, residents, and county officials? I don't know if there'd be anyone to post besides me, but I strongly suspect there might be. Walton County should post links to this board on their sites.

3) I cannot do a 6-hour drive to attend public forums and meetings in SoWal, though I've often wanted to, but that doesn't mean that I and others like me don't have something to say. I monitor those meetings as best I can by reading summaries in the Walton Sun, but it would be helpful to have an interactive forum to provide input and read responses -- something like this bulletin board.

4) I wonder who is the commisioner that posts? Hmmm. It's not Kurt 'cause you keep shooting down my suggestion to run for office.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
lenzoe said:
2) Is there any chance of making that a little more official? How about a forum specifically to support public dialogs between owners, residents, and county officials? I don't know if there'd be anyone to post besides me, but I strongly suspect there might be. Walton County should post links to this board on their sites.

There are laws against conferring directly with elected officials on certain issues under review, as absurd as that sounds. Also, you're unlikely to have officials brave enough (or stupid enough) to post under their real name. Too much margin for error in a public forum. Like e-mail, the written word is not always the best means of communication with the general public. Things are often misinterpreted, unless they are strictly facts. E-mail can be effective when combined with phone and/or face to face, but can be dangerous.

3) I cannot do a 6-hour drive to attend public forums and meetings in SoWal, though I've often wanted to, but that doesn't mean that I and others like me don't have something to say. I monitor those meetings as best I can by reading summaries in the Walton Sun, but it would be helpful to have an interactive forum to provide input and read responses -- something like this bulletin board.

We could set up a forum for politics. I can also add private forums for organizations, clubs, etc. if situations warrant.

4) I wonder who is the commisioner that posts? Hmmm. It's not Kurt 'cause you keep shooting down my suggestion to run for office.

:dunno:

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
kurt said:
We could set up a forum for politics. I can also add private forums for organizations, clubs, etc. if situations warrant.
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a politics forum. There's plenty of grist for discussion, and I believe politics and its influence on local real estate is a big enough topic that there would be plenty of threads to warrant it's own forum.