• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Telephone Poll about sales tax, 331 toll bridge

Just recieved a call about taxes and toll for 331. It implied a $5 toll to pay for it and what a .01 cent sales tax would be used to pay for it amongst other things. Be prepared.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Who was the call from?

Do you mean a $5 toll to use a new 331 bridge?

Can you clarify what you mean about a one cent sales tax?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
$5 is ridiculous.

Can we use the bed tax money to help pay for the bridge?

IMO if we can use bedtax money to subsidize an airport in another county because it "brings in tourists" and build a rest area, we can certainly use it to improve the main tourist traffic artery.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
The indication was a 5 dollar toll with a reduced rate I assume with a sun pass like the mid bay bridge or a 1 cent sales tax to pay for it. They also said that the money may be used to pave dirt roads, beautify median on hwy 98 and the like. I for one am opposed to a toll for the only North South road crossing the intercostal, and the cost to those folks who drive from the north to the south to work would be outrageous. It also irks me that Bay County has 3 north south corridors and 79 is in the process of being 4 laned. 2 or 3 years ago Dave Murzin, from Pensacola area, who was a state Representative asked the group I was with our thoughts about a toll road for 331. He advised then that a Walton contingent came to the Capital to push that agenda. He did not give me any names. Hope this helps Kurt.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Also I think the group who was doing the poll was a group that was calling for local issues the last election cycle

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Thanks for the info. Of course no one wants a toll but it seems no major bridge project gets doen these days without one. The 331 bridge will need two new spans at a very high cost.

I assume they meant a one cent sales tax would pay for a discounted toll (sun pass). Sad that we have to consider sales tax to pay for roads and bridges.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Company that is doing the survey was Pro Mark out of Houston Tx. As I understood it the tax was to pay for the bridge and widening. I did tell them that I thought the survey was poorly done and had to many variables.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
1% additional sales tax bonded for 25 years would net 135million. Strike a deal with FDOT to pay for 1/4 of the 300 million to 4 lane to I10 and new bridge costs 75 million. Pave 100 miles of dirt road costs 50 million. Then complete the center of HW98 beautification finishes off the 135 million.

This would be a 5 year project and create about 700 jobs

This would also mean tourists paid for 1/2 the cost, but would give WC the highest sales tax rate in state.

Referendum in January.

Any takers?

Survey is to gauge support for project.

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
Where's the $30+ Billion/yr the Feds and States rain in from Gas/Diesel taxes? Add to that property taxes which also are to pay for roads. Simple math reveals plenty of money. 380,000,000/Gals gas a day times .18cents/fed tax times .22cents state avg tax. times 365.
About 16.3 Mil/day. Just gas tax. Add Diesel plus property taxes. I say they fudge their numbers. A LOT! Scare tactics to sell a bridge to no where. Toll it if and only if when the $135 million is collected to pay for it then abolish the toll. Same with any Tax increase. But I say we audit the state and feds first!