• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
The point is that 2 bridges allow twice as many people to evacuate - maybe more.

You're assuming the majority will evacuate. Most don't.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
No, I am not.

As our population and number of visitors continues to expand, the number of evacuees also continues to expand.

We need this bridge. We can argue about the how and the politics, but that fact remains the same.

buster

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2006
SoWal
True - not too much to worry about when a hurricane hits in October or November. But have one come in July when beds are full and it is a nightmare!

I don't know what bridge rules are but in SoWal they close Lake Powell Bridge and Bay bridge at same time more or less. The biggest problem on the causeway is water over the road when a storm hits.

I have a recurring nightmare about driving on roads that become submerged and I have to keep driving. Ever have that dream?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Let me understand this. One bridge might have a higher wind closing threshold than the other. If that were true then we would be right back where we are a two lane bridge.

What's the point ?

I believe the rule about closing the bridges after it reaches a certain threshold is because it becomes unsafe for vehicles, not unsafe for the structural integrity of the bridges. I believe it is a uniform wind speed throughout all neighboring counties, if not the state.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
[QUOTELet me understand this. One bridge might have a higher wind closing threshold than the other. If that were true then we would be right back where we are a two lane bridge.][/QUOTE]

Lake View is correct. The bridge will withstand the wind just fine, but the vehicles crossing it are endangered from the wind. Just ask any LEO who has driven across it right before it closed due to high winds. It is very dangerous.

happydays32

Beach Comber
Jul 21, 2010
with signs and placards in hand "opposing" bridge tolls and higher taxes let's be at today's 1pm bridge meeting at the walton county courthouse in defuniak springs and in no uncertain terms let the bridge committee know the true feelings' of the people. there constituents in other words.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
with signs and placards in hand "opposing" bridge tolls and higher taxes let's be at today's 1pm bridge meeting at the walton county courthouse in defuniak springs and in no uncertain terms let the bridge committee know the true feelings' of the people. there constituents in other words.

You know, there are those, including me, who think you are dead wrong. My suggestion to all is to contact ALL the Commissioners and let them know your feelings and why instead of taking on the antics of the "occupy Wall Street" crowd. Also, the point made by Lakeview and others about the bridge being closed because of the wind factor affecting cars is very valid. I should have been thinking more clearly. My bad. My wife and I have a firm policy. If a Cat 3 or greater is forcast and approaching, we evacuate. Anything less we stay here.

tailwagger

Beach Fanatic
Dec 9, 2004
You know, there are those, including me, who think you are dead wrong. My suggestion to all is to contact ALL the Commissioners and let them know your feelings and why instead of taking on the antics of the "occupy Wall Street" crowd. Also, the point made by Lakeview and others about the bridge being closed because of the wind factor affecting cars is very valid. I should have been thinking more clearly. My bad. My wife and I have a firm policy. If a Cat 3 or greater is forcast and approaching, we evacuate. Anything less we stay here.

Many feel the same but what happens when a Cat 1 becaomes a Cat 3 in 2 hours?

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
While I accept it can happen it is most unusual with our modern weather forcasting for such to happen. Life is full of risks and you must learn to accept the fact you cannot avoid them all.

rocketman

Beach Comber
Jun 28, 2008
Run Forrest, Run

The bottom line is... if there is approaching bad weather, whether it be a tropical storm or category 1, 2, etc.... one should be prudent and get out of Dodge. As someone has said, the status can change rather quickly.... Use common sense....

Rock on,
Rocketman