Bridge Near Fort Panic

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by DaleDalbey, May 7, 2014.

1. DaleDalbey

DaleDalbey Beach Fanatic

Is there any information available suggesting when this project will be finished?

2. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Hopefully before Memorial Day. The county has threatened to look into the penalty clause in the contract.

3. DaleDalbey

DaleDalbey Beach Fanatic

Lol. If the penalty clause has not already been breached, we need to be asking who was representing the taxpayer when the contract was awarded.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2014
  4. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

I'd like to see the county actually enforce the penalty clause. It might wake up some contractors that making it a back burner priority isn't an option.

5. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

I'm not sure even an enforced penalty clause will help this situation. Something is just not right. I suspect the company that is suppose to be doing this project has simply got financial problems beyond the scope of this one job. It would be nice to get some kind of explanation from our county government.

6. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Seems I read an article about this recently and that the company is be penalized for every day they are late. I thought I read it in the Sun or the Beach Breeze but sometimes I have dreams also. On this one I am pretty sure I read it.

7. Lake View Too

My point is, they are probably in so deep that any penalty is pointless. Can anybody give an eyes on the ground assessment of any activity on the jobsite?

8. miznotebook

miznotebook Beach Fanatic

You weren't dreaming, found the article, was in the Northwest Florida Daily News:

Company ordered to pay county for each day local bridge uncompleted

By TOM McLAUGHLIN / Daily News
    Published: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at 17:30 PM.
    Dalton Brothers Construction has been ordered to pay Walton County $720 for each day since Tuesday the County Road 30A Bridge over Oyster Lake remains uncompleted.
    Under its contract, Dalton Brothers was given until April 8 to substantially complete the bridge project.
    “It is the County’s intent to exercise its rights under the contract and withhold the $720 per day until substantial completion is certified,” County Attorney Mark Davis said in an email.
    County spokesman Louis Svehla estimated Monday the bridge is still three weeks from being opened.
    The “liquefied damages” will come off the top of the $600,455 Dalton Brothers is being paid to construct the bridge, which will open the outfall between the rare coastal dune lake and the Gulf of Mexico.
    Mike Dalton, the construction manager, had no comment Wednesday.
    Cliff Knauer, an engineer with Preble-Rish that designed the bridge, said the project should move rapidly once a bridge deck that’s been “sitting in Pensacola” is brought on site.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/local/c...or-each-day-local-bridge-uncompleted-1.303176

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  9. Lake View Too

Miznotebook comes thru again! (That's over $20,000 penalty, by my arithmetic. You would think they would a hitch in their giddyup for that amount of loss.)

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  10. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Someone was working in the area after all the rains we had.... those are with my own eyes and I can see around corners.:drool:

11. DaleDalbey

DaleDalbey Beach Fanatic

Wish that bridge was right outside of Seaside or Watercolor. There would be many more people voicing concern.

12. Lake View Too

You are right, but people have been voicing concern for several months now on this project that has now been going on for six months. I'm most concerned that the same ineptitude will be prevalent on each and every troubled portion of roadway that our county road crew attempts to fix. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you just can't beat these yahoos it terms of pure comedy in road repair. Rant over.

13. Jim Tucker

Jim Tucker Beach Fanatic

Cindy Meadows...

Advice from the kitchen table - if you have such a problem with this contractor, don't accept any more bids from them.

I know Dalton Brothers as builders of low-end homes and a few small commercial buildings. Obviously not qualified for heavy projects.

14. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Was it Dalton Brothers? I've heard it was them and that it wasn't them.

15. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

It was Dalton Brothers