• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

kitlit

Beach Fanatic
Dec 11, 2007
Seagrove Beach
Yay! Not yay that you have no life; yay that you're with us. :roll:

S'okay. I've come to terms with it... :lol:

How about we aim for Sunday, January 2nd around sunset - 5pm? Weather.com calls for highs Sunday in the mid-50s, lows in the upper 30s, so the sooner after sunset, the warmer/better. The forecast also calls for a slight chance of rain, so we may need to reschedule, but perhaps we can decide that early enough in the day.

If y'all want to pm me with your emails, I'll reciprocate and we can easily notify everyone if we have to reschedule. I'll get the fire permit today or tomorrow morning, and a cord of wood. Does anyone have a wash tub or burn barrel we can use? If not, I'll pick one of those up, too.

I'm open as to the location. What beach access works best for everyone?

Thanks for participating! I hope we can grow this into an annual event, and look forward to the positive change we manifest for ourselves and our community.

Sounds great to me... Have vehicle, will travel. Grayton's usually a grayt spot for the burning of fires, and also for the accessibility of adult beverages after the spiritual cleansing... :D Methinks we may feel the need to celebrate our fresh, new outlook on life in SOME way... :dunno: But, if another access is more convenient for others, that works for me, too.

I'm sending you a PM momentarily with my email. Just keep us posted. I think that this is a fabulous idea, and one that is worthy of becoming a SoWal tradition. I like it more the more I think about it! I hope everyone will take a little time to come out and participate!

We can all use a fresh start sometimes... :love:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I think Jan 2 sounds great - from the list in the other thread burning on Jan 1 is bad.

Also allows me to start the year off right with good friends and the beach.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
Where in Grayton, kitlit? The access behind Red Bar? That's cool with me. Everyone?

kitlit

Beach Fanatic
Dec 11, 2007
Seagrove Beach

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
Does anyone have a burn barrel or tin tub, or something we can use for the fire?

As for the ceremony itself, here's what I envision (feel free to jump in, everyone - and especially Glenda):

If there are things you know you want to release, feel free to arrive with those already written on paper to be burned. I'll bring some additional paper and pens. I thought we'd take a few moments to reflect on diverse areas of our lives we'd like to see change in, with prompts to add those things to the list. Then we each add our lists to the fire. If everyone wants, we can then compile our lists of all thing things we welcome in 2011. After that, we can finish with a 10-15 minute meditation on releasing the negative and welcoming the positive. Then we can sit around and have a (plastic) glass of wine or champagne or something.

Oh, yeah, feel free to bring your cocktail of choice, if that's something you'd like to include. We definitely want the Universe to understand that, although we're serious about our intentions, we wanna have some fun in two-oh-one-one. :clap:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
How big a fire we making?

And does dousing the items w/ Boy Scout oil (lighter fluid) defeat the purpose of the cleansing?

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
How big a fire we making?

And does dousing the items w/ Boy Scout oil (lighter fluid) defeat the purpose of the cleansing?

Nope, as long as it doesn't violate Walton county's beach bonfire rules. I don't see anything about that here. Of course, sowal oil (vodka, gin, beer, etc.) may be used. ;-)

Walton County, FL - Home Page - Bonfire Rules and Permits

Our fire will fit inside a wash tub-sized container. Does Ace sell those? Or the dreaded Walmart?

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
You know I'll be there.:wave::love: As we talked before, let me know what I can do to help. It will be so good to see you guys.

It seems as if there is only a 20% chance of rain on Sunday. That's better than what I thought before.