Business Closings in Grayton?

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by prception69, Jun 26, 2005.

1. prception69

prception69 Beach Comber

My family and I just returned from a weeks stay in Grayton. I was surprised at all the closings in The Shops of Grayton, Blue Luna, Red Fish, etc. What's up? Just curious. We always have a great time down there! We have already placed a deposit on our house for next year.

2. Bob

Bob SoWal Insider

I believe the laws of business apply in Walton county like everywhere else. Too much negative cash flow and you're done. High rents, astronomical land values, seasonal demand, shortage of cheap labor, and competition are all hurdles for the businessperson.

3. prception69

prception69 Beach Comber

My point was that most of the businesses that closed seemed to be concentrated in the Grayton Beach area. Seaside, Watercolor, Blue Mtn areas seem to be doing just fine. Just curious why so many in a concentrated area had closed.

4. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Actually two businesses closed in WaterColor this year. Sockeyes (clothing) and one next door that sold beach stuff, bikes and kayaks. A new shop has opened up in the Sockeyes location (Kurt told us this...I haven't seen it yet). Our place is right above these shops and I have seen first hand the lack of customers. Most days in October, the employees sat outside on the rockers and read books. In summer, most people were just browsing not buying. I'm wondering if this is because unlike Seaside, WaterColor is not set up as a destination.

5. prception69

prception69 Beach Comber

Well my wife always tried to help out, ALWAYS buying instead of browsing. HA HA! I forgot that the two stores had closed in Watercolor. I have purchased several shirts in those stores the last couple of years for my dad and father-in-law (we are usually there father's day weekend)

6. SHELLY

SHELLY SoWal Insider

My guess is that all the "up scale people" shop at Walmart before hitting the beach. They DEMAND "up scale" shops, but they prefer browsin' to buyin'.

7. Landlocked

Landlocked Beach Fanatic

Shelly,

That's just like the Baptists in the liquor store.
    They keep that head LOW! :laughing1

-No offense to Baptists, I married one so they're okay.

8. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

Now that's funny :floor:

9. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

10. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Sockeyes closed due to personal reasons of the owners. The business, even though slow at that location, had nothing to do with the closing of all the stores.