• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

citeright

Beach Comber
Aug 7, 2008
Why doesn't Walton County have an system to know were businesses are and what exactly they are doing? Does anyone one know how to find out how many businesses are in Walton County? If so how would I get that information?

If the county issued occupational licences or business licences we could ensure reliable owners and tax payers do not have to compete with illegal aliens or sham artist.

Now before the conservatives get upset, these system can be in place for little or nothing. Five dollars to cover expenses, or if you like free. But it seems that a annnual count of active businesses could help the us understnd our community better.

I would like to see a system of registering rental units to limit or monitor the number of rentals and possibly limit illegal renting of accessory apartments.

Help me to understand the issues by giving some feedback.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I think most of that is already easily found on the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation website.

Walton County/Florida already requires most businesses to be licensed and short term rentals are also under DBPR and they go after violators because of the tax $ involved.

Is there a specific business or occupation you are concerned about? I would guess it is already one that does require a license.

I think most of that is already easily found on the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation website.

Walton County/Florida already requires most businesses to be licensed and short term rentals are also under DBPR and they go after violators because of the tax $ involved.

Is there a specific business or occupation you are concerned about? I would guess it is already one that does require a license.

That's correct. I have seen a spreadsheet listing of Walton County occupational licenesees, but I can't remember how I found it. www.Sunbiz.org doesn't have reliable data on licensees. The DBPR doesn't have all Walton County's occupational licensees.

Creeklover

Beach Lover
Dec 6, 2007
The County does NOT require a occupational licenessee. The State of Florida does regulate some bussiness and can be found on the Department of Consumer Services web site. There is still some that are not regulated. The county through vision 20/20 chose to not have one due to the extra burden on the small bussiness.

enfuego

Beach Lover
May 10, 2007
Paradise
$5.00 would be rather negligible even for a small business. The benefits would be a more accurate data collection for the reasons stated above, not to mention the benefit of public safety (fire/EMS) to pre-plan in the event of a hurricane or any other emergency to help protect the community and the business.

The County does NOT require a occupational licenessee. The State of Florida does regulate some bussiness and can be found on the Department of Consumer Services web site. There is still some that are not regulated. The county through vision 20/20 chose to not have one due to the extra burden on the small bussiness.

How would you term our local license? I know we send $50.00 every year or so for something.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I guess I am not understanding what the problem is that requires a new registration/licensing of businesses. I was under the impression that all business had to be licensed or regulated in one form or another - whether for public safety or tax/employment purposes. :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I'm more curious about your idea of limiting the number of rental units. Tell us why you think that is a good idea, and what is the right number of units to have?

Lake Eastern

Beach Lover
Dec 17, 2005
Walton County
Please figure out a way to monitor the illegal renting of properties such as "mother-in-law" suites that were so popular in the late 90's. While there are those who will contend that you are interfering with their private property rights I believe those of us who haved invested in single-family subdivisions also have rights that should be protected. It would be great if everyone would voluntarily comply with the situation they entered rather than assume that once they get in they can change it to their wants.