• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
It has always bugged me that I pay $60 a month for cable at the beach and half that at home... I have "expanded basic" from Mediacom... any suggestions on cheaper or better alternatives?

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Satellite is less expensive and you get the local Panama City and Dothan stations.

Dish network or DirectTV. I pay $39.00 per month and the equipment was free.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I use to pay $63 per month for cable, but that included Extended Basic and high speed internet. Now, I added all inclusive phone service (through cable) which has all you can use long distance and all calling features, and the total price is around $100+.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
Smiling JOe said:
I use to pay $63 per month for cable, but that included Extended Basic and high speed internet. Now, I added all inclusive phone service (through cable) which has all you can use long distance and all calling features, and the total price is around $100+.

really, mediacom has phone service now? VOIP? how's the sound quality? consistancy of transmission(ie drop outs)?

jr

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
John R said:
really, mediacom has phone service now? VOIP? how's the sound quality? consistancy of transmission(ie drop outs)?

jr
Yes, they are offering phone service in a partnership with Sprint. They are using Sprints phone lines, and they issue a new cable box with a phone jack, but the regular phone jacks in the house work with phones. I do not think it is VOIP. The quality is like a normal land line, and beats the heck out of losing cell phone reception on cloudy days.

Funny, yesterday I heard a Sprint commercial putting down the cable companies for phone service.

With the package deal through MediaComm, there is only one bill, and discounts are given based on number and type of services subscribed to.

imasunbum

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
Yes, they are offering phone service in a partnership with Sprint. They are using Sprints phone lines, and they issue a new cable box with a phone jack, but the regular phone jacks in the house work with phones. I do not think it is VOIP. The quality is like a normal land line, and beats the heck out of losing cell phone reception on cloudy days.

Funny, yesterday I heard a Sprint commercial putting down the cable companies for phone service.

With the package deal through MediaComm, there is only one bill, and discounts are given based on number and type of services subscribed to.
Is that like or is it Vonage?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
imasunbum said:
Is that like or is it Vonage?

I am pretty sure that this service being offered through MediaCom is different than VOIP (voice over internet protocol) which is the technology that Vonage uses. This is regular phone service via Sprint, but I get the service and bill through MediaCom.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
We have the digital cable service through Mediacom and it makes a world of difference in the clarity of the picture. Yes, it is expensive, but worth it. Does anyone know why the cable is left lying on top of the sand, rather than buried? This is very weird to us, would not be allowed here. We asked one cable guy, who said it shouldn't be on top of the ground, exposed. Another one said it was because they can't dig a trench within 1,500 ft. of the water's edge :dunno: Inquiring minds want to know...

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Donna said:
We have the digital cable service through Mediacom and it makes a world of difference in the clarity of the picture. Yes, it is expensive, but worth it. Does anyone know why the cable is left lying on top of the sand, rather than buried? This is very weird to us, would not be allowed here. We asked one cable guy, who said it shouldn't be on top of the ground, exposed. Another one said it was because they can't dig a trench within 1,500 ft. of the water's edge :dunno: Inquiring minds want to know...
At my last house, the cable was left exposed, lying on top of the ground for about three months. It was supposed to be buried withing a few days after installation. :bang: MediaCom hires subcontractors to bury the cable. After calling MediaCom about four times asking them to bury the cable, the subs finally came out to do the job. I watched them do it, and in some places the cable was buried only 2-3 inches deep, when it was supposed to be buried 13" (I think). Believe it or not, about a month after it was buried, I received a call wanting me to do a brief survey on the subcontractor's work. I was very willing to give them my two cents.

I know many people have the same problem I had with wires getting buried. Sprint takes the same slow-a_ss response to the same issue with their phone lines. I have never heard that the cable cannot be buried within any distance from the water's edge. If that is the case, we would see many exposed cable lines on top of the ground in Gulf Front homes, but that is not the case as I have seen. Maybe these homeowners are running the cable in the air from the utility poles, directly to their homes. :dunno:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Dang - my Dish Network bill is $97 per month! :eek:

But, unfortunately, I can't get my guys to give up their 8 HBOs and countless other movie channels... :roll: