• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

kirstenOn30A

Beach Comber
Nov 30, 2005
Dune Allen
i believe something should be done about the bad national publicity we have been receiveing from the press, especially the Wall Street Journal. I believe that one of the reasons people swarmed the area last year is because it got trendy (in addition to beauty). People like prada, louis vaton, and sowal because all the trendy people have a piece of it. After a bad year of hurricanes, shark bites, and poor parking people have shyed away from buying beach homes in the panhandle. And I know we all think that it's REALLY expensive and crazy last summer, but really it is not when campared to places like the Hamptons, Miami, and San Diego. We attrat the same people that have second homes there. But not if they think that we are spent and "so last year" .
Anyways, I feel that there is enough money inversted in real estate here that we should defend our selves. Anytime a company does something stupid and people start to pull away from purchasing stock they release a press statement defending themselves. If we get together and start a campaign to get good publicity for the area it couldn't hurt. I feel like something should be done. Does anyone eles feel that this may be a good idea?
Having lived here my entire life I have mixed views about pimping out my area to outsiders. I have enjoyed the vacent majestic beaches with all the other poor rural locals back in the early 80's and even though I have to share the beaches and the roads with many more people now, I do appreciate how much better off people are that have taken advantage of the real estate boom. There is much more opportunity here and there is no need for it to completely collapse before it gets big again.

EZ4144

Beach Lover
Aug 6, 2005
The county TDC does lots of advertising and PR. they spend millions and millions of our tax dollars and have gotten lots of people to buy here but have also ruined things.

They don't rebuild walkovers and still tell people to come here so they are lying. Good PR is about lying and covering it with money.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
kirstenon30A said:
....I believe that one of the reasons people swarmed the area last year is because it got trendy (in addition to beauty). People like prada, louis vaton, and sowal because all the trendy people have a piece of it......

:dunno: We're not trendy .... We love the area for way different reasons.
:scratch: You wouldn't be trying to drive the likes of us out would you? I'll stand up and say, my family wants more of OUR kind in SoWal. :razz:

Last edited:

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Rita said:
:dunno: We're not trendy .... We love the area for way different reasons.
:scratch: You wouldn't be trying to driving the likes of us out would you? I'll stand up and say, my family wants more of OUR kind in SoWal. :razz:

Honestly, the thought of SoWal being like SoBe or Key West makes me want to throw up. Trendy = bad IMO.

kirstenOn30A

Beach Comber
Nov 30, 2005
Dune Allen
FIRST I would like to say that I do appreciate all of the feedback. Even though a lot of it was posted from absentee owners. Not to offend anyone here, but where and when did you buy here? Where you not swayed by Gulf place, Watercolors, Seaside, and all of the other multi million dollar developments? Ask anyone that has lived here for several years and they will tell you that none of these developments are what Walton County truely is about.
But times have changed and we are dealing with the fact that people think its cool to live here. That's just the way it is. Now i know that most of the intelligent people on this message board don't want to lump themselves in the catagory of "trendy" people because if you are like me it's not cool to be trendy. But if they are the ones who are keeping out beaches livable, where most of us real locals make an acutal living, then we have to tend to them a little. I tell you this much I would much rather be a restruant owner or waitress, real estate agent or broker, and retail owner or worker than working up in Freeport as a farmer or living off of welfare. Have you ever been to upper walton county? South walton was not much different twenty years ago.
If the thought of marketing makes you think that it is only big bad business spending money on lies then you have never been involved with an honest businessman. Maybe ONLY a maketing campaign is not the answer, which is why I posted my thoughts in the first place. But we as people CAN get things done if we spend a little time and money one it. Rebuilding walkovers are a great place to start, in addition to hitting the specific people that are attacking us i.e. Wall Street Journal.

As far as if realtors have to spend money here then maybe we should find a new place to sell real estate. Let me tell you how much money they make on a single sale of a 2 million dollar house. It's more than enough to protect our interest here.
There are still a few places where it's not "trendy" in Florida. Ya'll ever been down to Appalachacola? Tell me how uncongested the roads are, how many diverse people live there, and how comletely in the middle of no where it is. There are no SOHO's there, no criollas, no bud and alleys, venus, mars, sufer girl. That's fine with me I don't take advantage of those things here. But I know that the majority of you do. So no hurt feelings, but try not to deny what South Walton has become and the direction it is going.

lost in sowal

Beach Comber
Jun 15, 2005
One quick clarification, all TDC efforts are funded by dollars paid by visitors staying less than 6 months called a bed tax or tourist occupancy tax- NOT County taxes. This goes for all beach restoration efforts, daily beach cleaning, post-hurricane debris removal, sea oat plantings, beach access rebuilding and maintenance, etc. Most people don't realize it but we have been exporting the cost of most of these activities to visitors for almost 20 years, and all of these activities since 1999.

As for access locations 25 are open today and the remaining ones will be completed by Memorial Day. Check http://partners.beachesofsouthwalton.com/Open_Beach_Access.asp for more information.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
kirstenon30A said:
FIRST I would like to say that I do appreciate all of the feedback. Even though a lot of it was posted from absentee owners. Not to offend anyone here, but where and when did you buy here? Where you not swayed by Gulf place, Watercolors, Seaside, and all of the other multi million dollar developments? Ask anyone that has lived here for several years and they will tell you that none of these developments are what Walton County truely is about.
But times have changed and we are dealing with the fact that people think its cool to live here. That's just the way it is. Now i know that most of the intelligent people on this message board don't want to lump themselves in the catagory of "trendy" people because if you are like me it's not cool to be trendy. But if they are the ones who are keeping out beaches livable, where most of us real locals make an acutal living, then we have to tend to them a little. I tell you this much I would much rather be a restruant owner or waitress, real estate agent or broker, and retail owner or worker than working up in Freeport as a farmer or living off of welfare. Have you ever been to upper walton county? South walton was not much different twenty years ago.
If the thought of marketing makes you think that it is only big bad business spending money on lies then you have never been involved with an honest businessman. Maybe ONLY a maketing campaign is not the answer, which is why I posted my thoughts in the first place. But we as people CAN get things done if we spend a little time and money one it. Rebuilding walkovers are a great place to start, in addition to hitting the specific people that are attacking us i.e. Wall Street Journal.

As far as if realtors have to spend money here then maybe we should find a new place to sell real estate. Let me tell you how much money they make on a single sale of a 2 million dollar house. It's more than enough to protect our interest here.
There are still a few places where it's not "trendy" in Florida. Ya'll ever been down to Appalachacola? Tell me how uncongested the roads are, how many diverse people live there, and how comletely in the middle of no where it is. There are no SOHO's there, no criollas, no bud and alleys, venus, mars, sufer girl. That's fine with me I don't take advantage of those things here. But I know that the majority of you do. So no hurt feelings, but try not to deny what South Walton has become and the direction it is going.

Kirsten, welcome to Sowal.com. We appreciate your postings and input. Be aware that most of those who post regularly on this board are very knowledgeable about the real estate market in this area. There are many professionals--realtors, developers, contractors, business owners--who post here (and at least one person who studies market trends for entertainment). There are many, many full-time Sowal residents, many who own property here (and wish they could be here full-time) and many who would love to own, but don't at this time. All are welcome. Sowal.com is a great forum for information about the area, intelligent debates (mostly about the "market" and investing), breathtaking photos (thanks to Kurt and Smiling JOe), and a whole lot of goofiness (visit "The Lounge").

You will find that many of the topics that you have brought up have been discussed in previous threads. Take some time to look through those threads and you will get a sense of who is who--where we're from, what we do for a living, and if we are bullish are bearish and the market. As you sift through the previous threads, you will find that some very interesting and intelligent conversations have taken place. And there are many very interesting and intelligent conversations that have yet to take place, so you input is welcome. Just don't jump to conclusions about the people on this board. This board in NOT a place where full-time SoWallians and full-time property-owners, but part-time residents, argue or fight. For at heart, almost everyone on this board is a full-time SoWallian.

Last edited:

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
lost in sowal said:
One quick clarification, all TDC efforts are funded by dollars paid by visitors staying less than 6 months called a bed tax or tourist occupancy tax- NOT County taxes. This goes for all beach restoration efforts, daily beach cleaning, post-hurricane debris removal, sea oat plantings, beach access rebuilding and maintenance, etc. Most people don't realize it but we have been exporting the cost of most of these activities to visitors for almost 20 years, and all of these activities since 1999.

As for access locations 25 are open today and the remaining ones will be completed by Memorial Day. Check http://partners.beachesofsouthwalton.com/Open_Beach_Access.asp for more information.

Thank you. I did not know that county taxes didn't help with some of the mentioned. This board again serves as a quick source of info.

Snapper Grabber

Beach Comber
Jul 9, 2005
I have a home in a nonresort area of Seagrove. I do not want the area to be known as trendy with people flocking to vacation here. I bought here because I enjoy the uncrowded, natural beauty of the area. Growth is inevitable, but I wince at every new development.

reedtsu

Beach Comber
Apr 17, 2005
Pt Washington
I think that I agree with you kirstenon30A and I have lived here since Ed Walline was just a place with two large concrete blocks painted to look like dice and One Seagrove was just a old house on an empty beach. To be a real local you have to know what I am talking about......haha Easy now and just kidding before I get cyber jumped....... I do agree though with the branding and marketing.