• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Joyce Owen

SoWal Staff
Oct 8, 2007
SoWal.com
Please come and support our efforts to get the water level back to normal at Camp Creek Lake.
Some concerned Camp Creek Lake residents have an item on the agenda of the Coastal Dune Lake Advisory Board meeting on Feb. 26. The meeting begins at 9 a.m. in the Coastal Branch Library.

Christian

Beach Comber
Jul 6, 2007
Pensacola
Folks around South Walton are weary of seeing our celebrated dune lakes manipulated for private gain, such as dredging outfalls for homeowners...let's hope the dune lakes advisory board considers the following when discussing this issue:

--by all accounts the rise in the level of Camp Creek Lake (and for that matter all the dune lakes other than perhaps Oyster) is a completely natural event--hurricanes built sand up on the beach, and rainfall caused the lake level to rise;

--the Camp Creek lake outfall is pretty much untouched--it's in a conservation easement, containing critical habitat for nesting shorebirds and beach mice; St. Joe has done a nice job of posting and protecting the area and letting nature do its thing without interference;

--obtaining a permit to dredge such a nearly pristine area would be very difficult, and it should be;

--flooding of docks is not justification for any action; docks are privately-built recreational structures that are not open to the public even though they are built on public property; owners of docks must know that putting a dock on a lake that rises and falls is a risky venture; take a look at the smart dock owners who built floating docks and are thus unaffected by the rising lake waters;

--it's only one small stretch of homes on Camp Creek Lake--A-frame wooden homes next to bridge--that has water near them, though it's not in imminent danger of entering the homes; the rest of the homes on the lake were wisely built up and out of the way of the lake;

--this small stretch of homes could likely be floodproofed with a retaining wall built around the east side of the homes between the lake and the homes, which would prevent rising lake levels from touching the homes and would for all practical purposes be a permanent solution, so there would never again be any talk of dredging; permitting agencies would likely consider this a better alternative to dredging through valuable habitat at the lake outfall;

--the cost of any actions taken to minimize flood danger to these homes should be borne by the property owners, not the public; owners knowingly bought homes built in a risky, waterfront area; County taxpayers are increasingly weary of paying for dredging of dune lakes that benefits a very small number of property owners, such as the many thousands of taxpayer dollars spent on permitting and repeatedly dredging the outfall at Eastern Lake to benefit one or few lakefront owners

--Nobody wants homes on Camp Creek Lake to flood, and it's great to be able to have a good discussion on this before the dune lakes board, but any action taken should avoid environmental impacts as much as possible and should be paid for by property owners, not taxpayers

Please come and support our efforts to get the water level back to normal at Camp Creek Lake.
Some concerned Camp Creek Lake residents have an item on the agenda of the Coastal Dune Lake Advisory Board meeting on Feb. 26. The meeting begins at 9 a.m. in the Coastal Branch Library.

I received an e-mail about this on another Message Board as well. I thought about it for a few and recalled that Deer Lake which is the next CDL to the West is down. It looked like it had a natural pop off already. Redfish Lake looks down as well.

I walked the boardwalks in WaterSound Beach along Camp Creek and out to the gulf yesterday. I don't see the concern and I don't understand the concern. The docks look to be built from Marine Grade lumber and our WaterSound Beach kayak takeoffs are floating so they rise and fall. I think some of the wildlife lovers enjoy the chance to reach more areas by way of kayak on the North part of Camp Creek which they can't do when the level is at sea level.

It really looks to me that Camp Creek is about due to make a natural breach at the gulf and I don't understand why the concern. My point of view was met with hostility by some Camp Creek High Priest (or Rabbi). I never found out why he was having a TIA over it.

Can someone educated in this please tell me why WaterSound Beach residents should be asking for government intervention in this matter?

hnooe

Beach Fanatic
Jul 21, 2007
Should be an interesting meeting--can't wait to hear all point of views at the meeting--I may have to start pricing floating docks?

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove

Could you define what the normal water level should be?

Should be an interesting meeting--can't wait to hear all point of views at the meeting--I may have to start pricing floating docks?

Some people say that a person could spray the underside of a dock with closed cell polyurethane insulation, cut it loose from its pilings and you've got a dock that will rise and fall with the ever changing lake levels. I though I had heard that the floating variety are not regulated like conventional pile supported docks.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Interesting indeed. Maybe, if those wanting to open the lake are turned down, that decision might be considered a relevent point in trying to reduce the frequency of artificial openings at Eastern Lake.

Meeting should now be over. Anything to report?

Our man on the scene reported : "Dealing with the high water level of CCL is a very complex issue and the governmental authority to correct current problems is not clearly discernable" and "What I learned today is that a permit was granted to St. Joe in the year 2000 and can be extended in 2032, to be the custodian for what has been defined as a conservatory area, i.e., an area with very strict environmental criterion over the Camp Creek connection to the Gulf of Mexico; the dunes etc" and "It was suggested by Mary Rosenheim that we bring into play the St. Joe biologist Jim Moyer who can speak to the environmental impact of any mechanical change of the outflow of the Camp Creek Lake ( a comprehensive study may be needed ). This would have to be done before we start our approach to county/state officials."

I'm not sure if that's good news or bad. I don't understand the issue yet. Seems that high tide is always lower in the Winter, as seen on Choctawhatchee's shoreline lately, and natural interplay between the CDL and the Gulf is less likely for the next couple months.