• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
By Joyce Owen

PANAMA CITY BEACH ? Ted and Betty Price walked to the old lifeguard house at Camp Helen State Park Saturday morning as he reminisced about his year working as a lifeguard at the Avondale Mills summer camp.
From 1945 to 1986, Camp Helen, on the western end of Bay County, served as a recreational spot for employees of Avondale Mills. The textile company had about 20 plants in Alabama and opened the camp to its employees and their families to enjoy the beach ? fishing, swimming, surfing and water skiing.
The Price?s visit was part of a camp crew reunion on May 20 organized by Howie Padgett Jr. to bring together members of the staff during the Avondale years: lifeguards, cooks, maintenance staff, cooks, servers, dieticians and hostesses. Padgett is the president of the Friends of Camp Helen and worked and lived at Camp Helen when his father, Howard Padgett Sr. managed it.
About 120 former camp staffers and special guests attended a fish fry held the evening before. However, mostly camp staffers gathered Saturday to search through photo albums, take new photos and share memories of the old camp days. Some brought family members along to visit the camp.
Ted Price described how he came to be an employee at Camp Helen. In 1951, he was vacationing with his family, when he saw the tanned and muscular lifeguard Jimmy Holmes strolling on the beach.
?I was just a skinny young kid and he made an impression,? Ted said. ?I wanted to do that.?
When he was offered a job as a lifeguard four years later, the 17-year old jumped at it. If he had stayed in Sylacauga, Ala., he would have spent the summer mowing lawns. As a lifeguard, he would spend it at the beach.
?I love the sun, sand and gulf,? he said. ?I live on a lake today and still water ski.?
Walking past the rental cottages where the families stayed, Ted pointed out a screened porch at the back of the lifeguard cabin where he frequently slept on hot summer nights.
?Some times I?d wake up and little girls would be looking in!? he told his wife with a sly grin.
?He was a handsome boy,? she agreed.
As the only lifeguard that year, it wasn?t only a matter of the girls checking out the young man, the girls were waiting for Ted to wake up so they could go swimming.
?There was just me and one other boy that lived here that summer. He did the yard work,? Ted said. ?It was the best summer. For those three months, it was paradise.?
A lifeguard shirt was included as part of the reunion display, but Ted said all he ever wore was a whistle and bathing suit.
?You were proud when you walked,? he said.
Approximately 50 people attended Saturday?s reunion and brought visitors from as far away as South Carolina.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Great story! I would have loved to have been there back then!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
You could have interviewed my mom on this one. She came down a few summers as a little girl to spend some time on that land we now know as Camp Helen.

A little known fact is that in addition to Avondale Mills having property here, Chrysler Corporation also bought a huge chunck of land in Pt Washington, from what is now known as Daughette S/D through Magnolia Beach S/D. Many of the streets are presently named after former executives in the Chrysler Corporation -- Little, Morrison, Ricker, Chrysler, Mitchell, Mason. The original plat shows homesites around a golf course, and all of the property was going to be made available to Chrysler employees.

Boy have the times changed.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
One of my renters went to Camp Helen State Park while they were staying at our place and sent me photos after. It's a really lovely park. Next on our list with Topsail to visit on the next trip down!!

Thanks for the story, SoWalSally.:clap_1:

bamagirl

Beach Comber
May 28, 2006
I am new to this board and just read about the reunion at Camp Helen. I spent many summers there also. So many summer crushes and tears back to Alabama because we had to leave at the end of the week. From fish fry's, bingo nights, shuffleboard, the beach buggy trips, volleyball games, learning to ski out in the bay. All of these are memories that will be in my mind forever.

If any of you have pictures of the reunion, i would love to see them. You can email them to me privately if you want.

Was Mr. Padgett around? I know i found Howie online a few years ago and he told me he was still in the PC area. Oh i would love to know more of this reunion.

Thanks in advance. This is a great board by the way. I may have to just venture out more from PCBeach area.