• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

maygirl

Beach Crab
Aug 6, 2008
Alan Osborne and Driftwood Estates have three lawsuits against Walton County. If elected, can Alan sue himself?
How can a sitting commissioner, Cindy Meadows, collecting a salary from the public, endorse a candidate who is suing the county she represents?
We are all paying the legal fees for these lawsuits.
maygirl

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
If the County had done what was required, Driftwood Estates would have never been built with incomplete storm drain systems, and the owners in Driftwood wouldn't have needed to bring suit. Heck, the County has had many chances to force the developer to install the designed and required infrastructure, but they have not acted for what ever reason. Commissioner Meadows (pardon my French for a moment, and I write this with all due respect, Comm. Meadows) is the only Commissioner with big enough balls to do that which is right. BCC Chairman, Comm Jones, used to work for Adams Homes who built most of the houses in Driftwood, so you can guess that he doesn't like taking action against developers. We need Commissioners who will admit when mistakes are made, and will hold others accountable for their actions, or lack of actions. I commend Commissioner Cindy Meadows for her push to rectify that mess of a problem known as Driftwood Estates, as do I commend Alan Osborne for patiently, yet with out rest, pushing the County to do the right thing. Sometimes, it does take a lawsuit to wake people up. I can guarantee you this, Alan Osborne and the Driftwood Estates HOA isn't suiting the County because they want money. What they want is what they were sold. If I were an attorney, I think I could argue that the developer committed fraud when they informed the County that the infrastructure was installed when it wasn't. It was that information which led the County to approve the development of Driftwood Estates, so Driftwood was developed under false documents. That is what Alan has been stating all along.

I'd guess from reading your post that you are either campaigning for another candidate and are attempting to harm Alan, or you are either unaware of all of the problems with the developer of Driftwood, the County, and the major flooding issues to which the developer's neglect has led.

paradiseat30a

Beach Comber
Jul 17, 2008
Alan Osborne and Driftwood Estates have three lawsuits against Walton County. If elected, can Alan sue himself?
How can a sitting commissioner, Cindy Meadows, collecting a salary from the public, endorse a candidate who is suing the county she represents?
We are all paying the legal fees for these lawsuits.
maygirl

Your comments on Osborne are very transparent in an attempt to discredit him, probably one of the other candidates' supporters. If you took just a few minutes to conduct even a little research on the Driftwood issue, (Walton Sun, SOWAL, past political forums) you would know the larger scope of ongoing problems developers of Drfitwood left for the homeowners to deal with.
Nice try, but the majority of folks in Walton County by now know Osborne's efforts for Driftwood have been nothing but honorable.

cherijean

Beach Fanatic
I have met Mr Osborne and personally think he would make a great commissioner for us. I really appreciate the fact that he doesn't seem to tell each person he meets what he thinks they want to hear but what he truly believes himself!

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Maygirl, first of all, welcome to the forum. Second, obviously you are either not informed or misinformed on both Alan Osborne and the Driftwood issue.
First of all, Cindy Meadows may support and endorse anyone she chooses. It has to do with her right as an American citizen and nothing to do with her position as County Commissioner. (Re-read SJ's above post regarding why Driftwood Estates is at legal odds with the county). Also, should Alan Osborne be elected, and I certainly hope he is as he is by far the best candidate running, he will, by law, recuse himself from any vote concerning Driftwood Estates because he is President of their HOA. We definitely need a Commissioner such as Cindy Meadows has been to replace her. Alan Osborne is that person.

I don't know any more about the Driftwood drainage issue than what was passed on to me by two homeowners in Driftwood. The homeowners who told me about the issue said it was there goal to get the back of Sandestin opened up to Driftwood so their property value would double overnight. Their thought was that being part of Sandestin would be all they need to see a windfall, and the drainage issue was secondary as they did not experience half the problem complained of.

I know from my own experience that in 1995, R.W. who was an in house salesperson at Sandestin was offering to sell me property in Driftwood near Buck Bayou under the guise that it would be a part of Sandestin. He aslo told me that there would be a golf course built in the center of Driftwood. He wouldn't put either in writing, which is the only recourse I would have under Statute of Frauds, so I did not buy the property.

Does anyone who is an owner back in Driftwood know if it's true that a condition of settlement would be to open the road to Sandestin directly into Driftwood? Would that make things agreeable?

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
From what I understand, the wall which was erected to block Driftwood owners from using the road, was built without permit. The original DRI shows that road open, and anyone can tell you that still today, a project of that size would not be allowed to be developed without only one road in and out, especially when said road is known to flood under heavy rain. I'd like to see the permit issued to build the wall which closed off the road. That road, as a secondary road in and out of Driftwood, was part of the infrastructure plans which was submitted to the County in order to receive approval.

For all of you people wanting to blame Alan or Driftwood HOA for the lawsuit, perhaps you should point those fingers at Sandestin.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
From what I understand, the wall which was erected to block Driftwood owners from using the road, was built without permit. The original DRI shows that road open, and anyone can tell you that still today, a project of that size would not be allowed to be developed without only one road in and out, especially when said road is known to flood under heavy rain. I'd like to see the permit issued to build the wall which closed off the road. That road, as a secondary road in and out of Driftwood, was part of the infrastructure plans which was submitted to the County in order to receive approval.

For all of you people wanting to blame Alan or Driftwood HOA for the lawsuit, perhaps you should point those fingers at Sandestin.

Sandestin residents absolutely do not want this road. And are very firm about it. This is going to get interesting.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Sandestin residents may not have a voice in that because it was approved as part of the DRI, and "their" wall was reportedly built without permission from the County.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
And besides what SJ says, it is both morally wrong and legally wrong to have only one egress from this or ANY other subdivision of this size if a second exit is viable and doeable. In this case it is both.