• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Anyone want to succeed from the North? This question is not intended to start a riot. Im just curious of the possibilities since my present home is divided into two districts in one county. Two separate governing municipalities.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
IMHO, I don't think that is a possibility unless the majority of voters are in S. Walton, which isn't the case, yet. I would prefer to see the entire county as one, and not a north, south issue.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I certainly don't think splitting is a good idea. Just means more bureaucracy and $ spent on organization and redundancy when we have a N and S version of the (imo) already excessive numbers of offices/departments.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
not a good idea imo. no long term benefit to anyone.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Anyone want to succeed from the North? This question is not intended to start a riot. Im just curious of the possibilities since my present home is divided into two districts in one county. Two separate governing municipalities.

Since it is a legislative issue you would never see it happen. Would cause a domino affect across the State of Florida.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
I like the county together. Might save Florida taxpayers money overall if we went back to our original Walton County border in 1824, which was much larger and there were far fewer counties in Florida. There were county changes in the past, but additional changes would be extremely difficult. We should be able to discuss this topic in an informational and friendly format.

Not sure what you mean by your comment of being governed by two municipalities. Tell us more about your problem or issue. There are only three incorporated cities in Walton County and all are in North Walton -- DeFuniak, Paxton and Freeport. South Walton is comprised of communities of historical note such as Miramar Beach or Pt. Washington and new resorts that have more defined legal boundaries. There are no incorporated "cities" in South Walton, although South Walton could go through a long process to be an incorporated city if it was something the citizens desired. There are specific Florida county boundaries and there are incorporated cities in those counties with specific boundaries. All the cities in Florida were not developed at one time, and neither were the counties. For example, Panama City, now in Bay County, did not incorporate until 1909, and is now celebrating its 100th year as an incorporated city. PC was in Washington County at the time of incorporation. Bay County was not formed until 1913.

In the 1830 census there were only 15 counties with a large area where Orlando and Disney World are today just notated as "Indian Territory." That would eliminate some local counties around us. It has been a long time since the legislature made a new county. Florida now has 67 counties. Gilchrist County was founded in 1925.

Last edited:

passin thru

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2007

secede

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
In the 1830 census there were only 15 counties with a large area where Orlando and Disney World are today just notated as "Indian Territory." That would eliminate some local counties around us. It has been a long time since the legislature made a new county. Florida now has 67 counties. Gilchrist County was founded in 1925.

Anybody remember when Disney was trying to become it's own county?

It gave whole new meaning to Mickey Mouse Legislature.