Carillon Beach Rentals?

Discussion in 'Rentals - Vacation' started by Rudyjohn, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Rudyjohn

Rudyjohn SoWal Insider

I never see anything mentioned about Carillon. We considered renting a house there - - the rates were more affordable, but we never received very good customer service. I haven't been by there in years (or anywhere in the area for that matter) & wondering what's happened to the Carillon area.

2. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

Have a friend that just rented a large gulf front house in the $5K range. Rented it last year and just loved it. I walked through there last year. Very quite. Even quiter than 30A :blink:

3. Philip_Atlanta

Philip_Atlanta Beach Lover

The price escalation certainly mimics 30a. I've stayed there several times and liked it quite a bit. Miss Chef Paul's though.. :sosad:

4. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Carrillon is a very nice, quiet development, but, in my opinion, being located in Panama City Beach has been a detractor for it. As you probably know, Wild Heron has also been slow to move also, although I think the heavily guarded gates make that a more difficult place to show. PCB is slowly changing, and Carrillon and Wild Heron will be great places to escape from it all.

5. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

You wouldn't know it was out of the way by the prices of the houses in Carillon. I was shocked :shock:

6. phdphay

phdphay Beach Fanatic

Why did Chef Paul's restaurant at Carillon fail? It had one of the best chef's from Atlanta (from Pano's and Paul's) and the best general manager (David Reilly, formerly of Buckhead Diner). The food was fabulous. Was it location-location-location?

7. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I am very familiar with Chef Paul, and his son who was running the show at Carillon. The key to keeping a restaurant up an running is keeping people in the seats. When you went there, did you ever see more than 10 tables with people. I didn't, yet the food and service were exceptional. You pretty much nailed it -- location, location, location -- the top three things to consider when opening a restaurant. Look at WaterColor's BaitHouse. It has the best breakfast in town, reasonable prices, and good staff, yet it's tables are mostly empty. Did I mention that the atmosphere in there is one of the best around. Problem -- out of sight, out of mind.

8. phdphay

phdphay Beach Fanatic

You're right, Smiling JOe, about Chef Paul's. I personally think that Bait House is a bit pricey, although attractively designed. I don't think people know about it - I never see it advertised/promoted, unlike Fish Out Of Water.

9. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

One reason is due to their low staff levels. They would not be able to handle the volume, but the problem goes deeper than that, and you would have to have been in the business for it to make sense, so I willl refrain from the boring details. I think there is another major reason. The vibe I have from WaterColor is that they don't want outsiders roaming their neighborhoods, unless you plan on buying. Quite the opposite of Seaside, which feels warm and friendly. I feel that WaterColor doesn't offer that warm and friendly feel, except to their residents. It is like they are trying to keep the BaitHouse owners only. Fish Out of Water is advertised much because they need to fill seats, and it is directly connected to the Inn. In the hotel business, you do not want guests to sit alone in an empty dining room -- bad energy.

10. gr8mom

gr8mom Beach Comber

We've been staying at Carillon Beach for the last couple of years - wouldn't stay anywhere else for that matter! The prices are better than surrounding communities, the gates keep down traffic so we can ride our bicycles, and it is still a quiet, uncrowded community. I never see any advertising, which I think is a good thing since it keeps the crowds down. I'm curious, when you say you never received good customer service, from whom do you mean? The shops and restaurants in town have been great to us, but we do find one of the major rental companies more user-friendly than the other.

11. Rudyjohn

Rudyjohn SoWal Insider

Thnaks so much for your feedback.

I believe we will definately try to stay there now. As far as poor customer service: They never replied to any of my requests for general info or rental. I went thru their website. Finally, I called (I mean, who uses the phone anymore for this kind of request or inquiries?) and someone said they had gotten the emails but they don't do the actual rentals. I was surprised that no one had made an attempt to answer or help (after my numerous emails) or forward the info on to whomever! I finally just gave up and figured they were more interested in sales. It was back during the winter when I had tried to contact them so maybe it was not the best time!

But thank you for the good word. (which rental co. do you go thru?)

12. stockpicker2000

stockpicker2000 Beach Crab

There is now an on-site rental company that would have had nothign to do with your experiences several years ago. www.carillon-rentals.com.

13. gr8mom

gr8mom Beach Comber

We have used them and really like them. They were close, friendly, and we had no issues with the property they rented us.

14. bamablue

bamablue Beach Comber

Does anyone know why this year there are so many homes that have been put up for sale in Carillon Beach? We have rented there for the last 6 years, and just wondered if owners are trying to sell for sake of quick profit, or because of other reasons there.........We know a condo building is going up in the downtown area, maybe the owners aren't very happy about it...? Also, anyone have any recent photos of Carillon Beach? Would love to see any available before we rent again for upcoming summer...THANKS!!!!

15. JB

JB Beach Fanatic

I guess I caught them on a bad night, because I had one of the worst dining experiences of my life there one New Year's Eve. We never even tried the food. The service was so off-the-chart rude, we got up and left before we even ordered. Perhaps other experiences like mine had something to do with their ultimate demise.

But I digress..... Back to seawalls :lol:

16. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

:lolabove: ...seawalls have not been built on this thread....YET!

17. Swartzmom

Swartzmom Beach Comber

We stayed at the "Fairview Cottage" last May. Rented a golf cart and loved driving through Carillon to the sports bar for dinner (heard it has closed) and to the heated pool. The house was beachfront and right next to the beachfront pool! Rented directly from the owner and she was very pleasant to work with. I would recommend this house highly. Was quite pricey even though we were able to take advantage of the rates between spring break and summer. Loved the community, but wished there were more restaurants in the community itself.

18. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

There probably are always a lot of houses for sale in there - the beaches look good.

Swartzmom you have my favorite avatar - don't ever change it. :clap_1:

19. Franny

Franny Beach Fanatic

There are couple of guys looking at the Sports Bar and should reopen soon.

20. gr8mom

gr8mom Beach Comber

There already are condos in the downtown area - are you talking about some other than these? I can't recall where there would be space to build anything too great in stature downtown. I hope the sports bar reopens as something soon.