• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Re: Cell phone carriers.

That depends on where you live. There are some dead spots in the area where there is never a signal, but 100 yards down the street, is usually good, except on cloudy days. Which s/d are you in?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal

I have found cell service to be spotty all over the area, regardless of your provider.

My suggestion is to have your various guests check their phones to see exactly what works in your specific area.

Alltel truly distinguished itself w/ its crappiness and earned a lifetime spot on the Scooterbug Sheet List w/ lack of customer service, coverage, and repeated billing snafus.

I have been pleased by Verizon.

drsvelte

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Sandestin & Red Stick

In the Sandestin area, we have tried Sprint, T-Mobile, and Cellular with poor results. T-Mobile and Sprint were also poor at our Baton Rouge home. Last summer, we switched to Alltel and have been pleased with the results - connectivity and customer service - both in and around Sandestin and in BR.

Check here to find towers near you:http://http://www.cellreception.com/towers/towers.php?city=destin&state_abr=fl

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB

For what it's worth, I've had very good luck with Alltel. I'm not a very prolific cellphoner, but haven't had any problems west of 331.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007

Not sure if this is true for all cell providers, but I used to work for Nextel, and they would adjust the towers based on complaints. This obviously caused a continuing problem. One customer complains, move the antennas, the other complains and you move it back, so on and so forth. This was only beneficial for customers who actually called in, complained, and got the right customer service person who knew what to do.

30abob

Beach Lover
Aug 8, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach

All carriers have their "dead zones", depends on which leg you're standing on when dialing... I think.

You can get a booster for your house or car, see the following link:
www.digitalantenna.com

You can find this product or similar online much cheaper than buying direct from the manufacturer(?) from "dealers." Some only work on one system, others such as Digital work with both 800 & 1900 MHz (everything but nextel). Most of the smaller one room / small house systems are plug-n-play, homeowner installation is as simple as hooking up a DVD player to your TV. The large whole house or small commercial systems require permanent installation. My company can help you select and install the bigger systems.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local

I have had great luck with Nextel. Have had them for about 3 years and no major complaints except dealing with customer service if the need arises.

I have even been impressed with the available service down 30-A.