• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TT Wife

Beach Comber
Oct 25, 2009
Mississippi
:wave: Hello all!

I think we have decided to get our daughter a cat for her upcoming birthday, and are probably going to go down to the animal shelter to adopt one, but I know that there are a couple of breeds in particular she likes and that get along with young children (her siblings)... and was wondering, are there any cat breeders in the local area?... just in case the animal shelter thing doesn't work out for whatever reason....:blush:

Thanks!

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I kinda know how your daughter feels. (Personally I would like a Maine Coon Cat one of these days.) But please, go for the shelter cat. The shelters are overflowing these days. Many more cats and kittens there than available homes. Take your time, let your heart be your guide, and remember, cats do adapt. I've had rescue cats that I thought were just impossible, :bang:but over time they turned out to be fine, loving companions. :love:

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
How nice that you are getting a kitty for your daughter! I have to totally agree with Not Dead Yet - PLEASE get one from the shelter. There are also some at Petsmart for adoption. THE best pets I have ever had were strays or rescue animals. I am certain that your daughter will fall in love with one at the shelter and be all the more happy knowing she gave the cat a good home.

Best of luck!

Gidget

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Alaqua has had some total propaganda kittens at Destin Petsmart over the past year- non-pedigree but classic-looking applehead Siamese, Russian Blues, Maine Coon-looking cats, the odd Burmese, and what look like Bengal mixes.

I wish I could take them all home with me, but spouse says we're at our two cat limit and new pets have to be a joint agreement.

Scooter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA; New Orleans, LA
Shelter cats are always the best. I have had one purebred cat in my life which was a shaded silver chincillhua. 14 years of misery. Her fur would get matted, she didn't like children. Grey tabby/main coon type have always been the best. They are very smart and lovable.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
What they said! Please get the kitty from the local shelter. Best animals in the world, and really if you aren't going to show the animal, no need for a purebred....IMHO! Good luck to you and daughter.

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
Alaqua has had some total propaganda kittens at Destin Petsmart over the past year- non-pedigree but classic-looking applehead Siamese, Russian Blues, Maine Coon-looking cats, the odd Burmese, and what look like Bengal mixes.

I wish I could take them all home with me, but spouse says we're at our two cat limit and new pets have to be a joint agreement.

I saw them!! Precious!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I would call Alaqua and see what they recommend - they are quite knowledgeable and because of the number of pets people are abandoning or haven't spayed/neutered over the years, they sadly have a HUGE selection of kittens/cats.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
A cat will all individually have different personalities, but I have never seen an unsociable Tabby cat. I had one when my nephews were babies and they followed him around, pulled his tail unintentionally, sat on him accidentally and he still greeted and chatted away at them when they came over. Later, he sat on their laps pinning them down because he weighed 24 lbs at his height. :lol:

You'll find one at the Shelter that speaks to your heart.