• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Hubby has started a consulting business on the side. His partner's wife has 40 cats, 6 horses, and 5 dogs. One of their German clients sent them the photo below yesterday, not knowing about our cat issue. He does know that daughter's fianc? is German, but doesn't know that he is a cat lover (JP and daughter are dog lovers, too).

BTW I would never consider declawing daughter's cat after what Pepper had to go through with just one cancerous toe. Coincidentally, I just got an email from a friend to runs the standard poodle toe cancer registry. :cry: The good news is that what happened to Pepper might save Ava's life.

Hi ~

Ava had a 6th toe amputated last Friday. Today, I received the results. It was not SCC like her other toes, but melanoma.

How is Pepper doing? I was thinking of both of you when I heard the result, and for some reason I had even mentioned to my vet that I hoped it was SCC, and not melanoma. I think it was because Ava was biting this nail which is something she didn`t do a lot with her SCC toes. I remember when you told me Pepper kept you awake one night biting at her toe. That was the key for me in recommending he have the toe amputated.
This is the third toe disorder for Ava; 5 SCC toes, symmetrical lupoid onychodystrophy, and now melanoma. It`s hard to believe one dog can be so unlucky.

Please write if you get a chance and let me know how Pepper is doing.

Lynn
SCC

As for the photo below, :yikes:. The photo is actually from a website of someone who likes cats. I haven't done any German since I had to learn it to get a Ph.D. in math, so I can't read it.

Last edited:

Zirondelle

Beach Comber
Feb 14, 2009
I don't get it. If it's YOUR house, why do you HAVE to accept an animal you don't want to? Isn't the cat your daughter's responsibility?

I don't get it. If it's YOUR house, why do you HAVE to accept an animal you don't want to? Isn't the cat your daughter's responsibility?
Because she's going to college here now, has moved back home, she loves her cat, I love her, and I love animals enough not to put it up for adoption. That cat has already been through enough -- daughter got it at the Atlanta Humane Society.

I'm not gonna lie. I don't like having to do this. I think the dog and the cat will have issues. We'll see how it works. But most parents do too much for their children, and we are gulty of that.

Last edited:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
BR, unless BJ adopted the cat as a kitten, the very reason he/she was at the shelter to begin with may have been ripped & torn furnishings.

I am in the crowd that thinks that you should not bring the cat into your home. If a private adoption with someone you know who loves cats isn't possible, then put it in BJ's room, and take everything you care about out of there.

Cat person here; I like dogs and I love my dogs, but I would really rather have cats (don't tell my dogs that). Unless you have too many of them and they get avoidance issues, cats don't have to be watched every minute and are not as needy as dogs are. They use the litter box, they don't crap in the floor (unless you accidentally shut the door to the room they are in) and you can go away for the weekend and leave them home if you leave clean litter boxes, lots of food and fresh water and something to scratch on.

I do know where you are coming from; everybody adores Labrador Retrievers but ours as a young dog ate our couch, ruined our carpet, shed like a chenille bedspread and semi-permanently threw out my back. She's beautiful and now that she is five, much calmer and sweet as she can be, but never again will I bring a Lab home.

As far as your counters...if it should roam your house, you don't want it on the counters and you aren't there with a spray bottle, put sheets of aluminum foil on your counters. (Yes, this wastes alum foil, which is bad for the environment but you can't save everything all at the same time.) Cats generally HATE the crinkliness of aluminum foil, plus seeing their reflection scares them away.

Good luck :wave:

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Because she's going to college here now, has moved back home, she loves her cat, I love her, and I love animals enough not to put it up for adoption. That cat has already been through enough -- daughter got it at the Atlanta Humane Society.

I'm not gonna lie. I don't like having to do this. I think the dog and the cat will have issues. We'll see how it works. But most parents do too much for their children, and we are gulty of that.

So so true....can't throw stones at that one! Kid's and animals:love: