1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Cell Phone Reception

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by hutch, Apr 12, 2005.

1. hutch

hutch Beach Lover

I have changed cell phone companies twice. Does anyone on the board know who's cell phone reception is the best on 30A and around Destin Area? The Sandestin area is the worse for drop calls.

thanks

the hutch

2. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Alltel is the best for all of 30-A and surrounding area. I have tried them all, except for the new Cingular/ATT, but they have the worst complaints for customer service nationwide. A rep at Alltel recently told me that due to the massive crowds that we tend to experience, such as Atlanta spring break, that they will be adding another tower to help handle the volume.

3. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

Cingular/ATT actually has good coverage in the area, but the cs complaints are very true. After the merger, we somehow ended up with two seperate accounts, account numbers, and bills from them. Mr. Mouse spent mucho time with their cs reps on the phone trying to get it all straightened out, and I'm still not sure it's right.

4. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

I use Alltel and the only small dead spot I know of is at the intersection of 30-A and 395 - probably interference.

5. GVM

GVM Beach Lover

I was about to switch for overall coverage problems, but since with merger with AT&T, Cingular coverage is very good, 30-A area, Destin, and Panama City included. I've been an Atlanta area customer for a long time, so didn't have any customer service problems resulting from the AT&T merger.

6. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

I have Verizon, (I'm not a local but I stayed in a Hol...) Sorry got a carried away again :oops: :D . Anyway I have a trimode phone from Verizon. Great reception nation wide. 2-3 years ago the service was bad in SoWal but it's very good now:cool: .

7. lenzoe

lenzoe Beach Fanatic

Cingular is better since the merger, but I still can't get reception when I'm on the sand at our place -- though I can from inside the house, which is an improvement from before the merger.

My wife has T-Mobile and her coverage is not good.

We had visitors from up north with Verizon service and their coverage was amazingly good.

8. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

We were out a BigSky this Feb. Only the Verizon customers (of which I am) could get a signal. I also have great reception all over SoWal :cool:

9. Seasider

Seasider Beach Lover

Have any of the cell services improved their coverage lately?

10. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I still use Alltel, and have not noticed much change. It still has pretty good coverage in most of this area, most of the time.

11. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

We have Sprint and have had no trouble with it. I once talked from the Home Depot in Destin all the way back to Seagrove Beach and the line was clear the whole time. (It was my mother. :D )

12. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

Sprint is good for me, family, and family's co-workers. I get a small dropout on 98 at Camp Helen, otherwise good all along 98 and from Grayton east on 30A. I don't spend as much time west of Grayton, so I can't recall how it is there.

13. redfisher

redfisher Beach Fanatic

I get horrible reception w/Sprint all over 30-a...have to go to 98 to get signal ...how old is your phone?...Red

14. aquaticbiology

aquaticbiology fishlips

Cell phone coverage in NW Florida is a whole story in itself. AllTel is still by far the best coverage, even out into the gulf. They were the only cell phone system serving the area for a long time, even to the point of locking out the other providers. Then AllTel over-extended and went bankrupt. They closed most of their offices and then suddenly reorganised with funding from some of the other providers, who (poof!) got instant acess to the area.

The best bet, especially if you are living there, is to get an AllTel 'pay as you go' phone (that's what I use down there now) from a wal-mart or drug store in the area you will mostly be in - you just buy a set number of minutes on a phone card and put them into the phone. It's cheap, so if it falls overboard it dosen't matter. There is no contract, no phone insurance and its a easy no frills solution.

If you are just visiting, keep your real phone for back home and reload the 'Florida Phone' minutes for the next trip. The AllTel phone also works in Gatlinburg and other areas where the other phones don't, but may use 'double minutes' sometimes in those areas.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2005
  15. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

Well, that's the funny thing--the phone's almost 2 years old and it's pretty basic.

16. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

Redfisher:

Mine is truly antique - A Sanyo SCP-4500 from 1999 or 2000, I think. The other Sprint phone in the family is a year-old Treo. Both are good all along the east half of 30A, but the Treo will roam here at home in Seagrove once in a blue moon. Sounds like your problem could be more phone than Sprint.

17. Coast is Clear

Coast is Clear Beach Lover

We have 4 family phones on Sprint and have had very good luck around Seaside/Grayton etc. Great signal on the beach as well.

18. PEARL

PEARL Beach Comber

I have Verizon, and get NO signal along 30-A, spotty up to 98. My phone's only a year old, but not an expensive one. Does the phone make that much difference?

19. Cap'nCrazy

Cap'nCrazy Beach Lover

I have an LG brand phone and am on the Verizon network also. I get basic phone reception most places around Grayton, Watercolor, Seaside, but cannot send or receive blackberry email until I'm up on 98 most of the time. Occasionally, my email will post when I'm at the third floor bar at the Watercolor Beach Club, so guess where I spend the days when I need to get my email?????

:lol:

20. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

Cap'nCrazy, I can just hear you say "And that's my story and I'm sticking to it." :funn: