• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mightyern

Beach Lover
May 9, 2007
I know this is like choosing the lesser of two evils, but gotta have my internet.

So, Century Link up to 8mbps DSL :wacko:

OR

MediaCON choose speed & limit on monthly usage :bang:

REALLY WANT SOME INFO ON CENTURY LINK'S SERVICE!!! I have heard numerous complaints about Mediacom so I know their service is not reliable, but I am looking for the best option of the two here.

Anyone?

harrymurry

Beach Comber
Nov 30, 2012
Neither are highly available connections if that's what you are asking, we have both due to job requirements. Centurylink is slower (being DSL) and there are a few connection drops in the morning, at least there was when I first got them but that has seemed to subside. I put the rest of the family on Mediacom for Xbox, Netfilix and general surfing. The connection is fast but when there's an outage, it's down for a few hours. It really depends on what you are looking for, Centurylink seems more stable now but not nearly as fast a cable (and I probably wouldn't rely on it for a streaming service). Mediacom is much faster for streaming apps but you have to have a higher outage tolerance.

Sorry, I know this doesn't really give you a clear cut comparison but it really does depend on your 'needs'.

Word6er

Beach Lover
Jul 30, 2009
Seacrest, FL
I think it all depends on your location. We live on the East end of 30A and have had really good luck with Mediacom. We pay for 15 Mbps and we average around 25 Mbps. We have Century Link up at work in Grayton and average around 9 Mbps. Century Link also cuts out off and on throughout the day. I have heard of Mediacom issues in Seagrove.

I would ask some of your neighbors. Ask Mediacom about their 3 month trial. I heard it's a new thing their doing.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
I have mediacom in BMB really fast since Dec2012 has worked everyday ( I'm probably jinks NOW)...cable was another story. Had 5
DVD boxes replaced recording would freeze up
And audio didn't sync with lips. One service guy
Gave me the local office address, after several visits the friendly lady ( Bama Fan also) saved me a working DVR box now were are good. But it is
Day to day. Anyone use direct /dish ? Wish AT&T Uverse was here.

justhavinfun

Beach Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
Eastern Lake
I have mediacom in BMB really fast since Dec2012 has worked everyday ( I'm probably jinks NOW)...cable was another story. Had 5
DVD boxes replaced recording would freeze up
And audio didn't sync with lips. One service guy
Gave me the local office address, after several visits the friendly lady ( Bama Fan also) saved me a working DVR box now were are good. But it is
Day to day. Anyone use direct /dish ? Wish AT&T Uverse was here.

I've had Mediacrap for about 18 months now and subscribed to their own wireless service using their own modem/router combo. The wireless service was absolutely horrible and I could never get a relaible signal on the 2nd floor of my house. After a "Off the record" chat with a tech I was told these combo boxes are just a basic entry level modem/router combo and that the signal would improve if I went with my own router. I purchased a new Netgear router and the results were amazing. If you want the specs and the model just ping me but the signal has improved enough to justify the investment!

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Justhavinfun, was the modem easy to install ?

Had problems b4 with there installation. Would only up grade to use wireless out back by the pool. Current router has full bars upstairs and down and on front porch and back deck( but weaker on deck.

justhavinfun

Beach Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
Eastern Lake
I bought the router listed below and it was kind of overkill based on the bands available but it was super easy to install. I had Mediacom disable the wireless service from their own router overnight and the next morning hooked up the new Netgear. I could not believe the improvement is signal strength as well as getting better speeds. My house is 3 floors so I also hooked up a range extender on the 2nd floor and I can honesty say its a major improvement. I put the model number of the new router below.

[h=1]NETGEAR - Wireless-AC Gigabit Router with 4-Port Ethernet Switch[/h]

• Model: R6300-100NAS

Mightyern

Beach Lover
May 9, 2007
Thanks, everyone for your input. I asked our IT guy at work to find out what he uses at home and he currently has Century Link after firing Mediacom for years of pathetic service and even worse customer service.

So needless to say, I went with Century Link. The price is right too because after researching their deals I ended up with $39.95/month for up to 8mbps AND my IT guy said that their fiber optic is coming soon. Took 18 minutes on the phone with their very friendly customer service to get the entire account set up, equipment ordered and next day installation with no install fee. Hope they don't let me down. I will keep everyone apprised of the quality.

Mightyern

Beach Lover
May 9, 2007
Thanks, everyone for your input. I asked our IT guy at work to find out what he uses at home and he currently has Century Link after firing Mediacom for years of pathetic service and even worse customer service.

So needless to say, I went with Century Link. The price is right too because after researching their deals I ended up with $39.95/month for up to 8mbps AND my IT guy said that their fiber optic is coming soon. Took 18 minutes on the phone with their very friendly customer service to get the entire account set up, equipment ordered and next day installation with no install fee. Hope they don't let me down. I will keep everyone apprised of the quality.

JT

Beach Lover
Aug 8, 2005
Atlanta
I had Mediacom for a year. Let them go due to service issue. Customer service was awful too. Ive had century link for about 4 months now. Once we got the install taken care of its been pretty good. Im an IT guy myself and think the lesser of the two evils is Century Link. Had Uverse in ATL and if it ever comes down here I will be switching to that.