• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
I heard this afternoon that Mr. Barker, Walton County's Emergency Management Coordinator was forced to resign last week and replaced with someone with zero EM experience. Is this true and if so, does anyone have any more information? This is a troubling item, if true, in the middle of hurricane season and with the oil situation still underway. And why hasn't the public been informed?

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
I heard this afternoon that Mr. Barker, Walton County's Emergency Management Coordinator was forced to resign last week and replaced with someone with zero EM experience. Is this true and if so, does anyone have any more information? This is a troubling item, if true, in the middle of hurricane season and with the oil situation still underway. And why hasn't the public been informed?

You heard wrong !

You need to check your facts first.

Last edited:

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
Here's what WZEP said in their daily news blast:

WCSO?s Barker Resigns

Walton County Sheriff?s Captain Mike Barker has turned in his resignation. Walton Sheriff Mike Adkinson confirms Barker submitted his resignation to ?Look for opportunities elsewhere.? Captain Barker was over the 911 Dispatch and Emergency Management. Adkinson says the resignation included some technical policy issues. The sheriff says Barker goes with a strong recommendation. Joe Preston will be the interim communication and emergency management head until a replacement can be determined.

You heard wrong !

You need to check your facts first.

You 'check facts" by asking questions. That is what I did. Only defensive people or people with something to hide fear reasonable questions.
Apparently I did not hear wrong judging by Here4good's post. You might not want to jump in so fast before you do some checking.
I should have looked at WZEP before I asked though. They usually have the scoop on Walton County activities better than anyone else.
The remaining question is Mr. Preston's qualifications regarding emergency management and what the "technical policy issues" were, but I am sure someone will provide those to us as well.

Last edited:

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I talked with both Mike's yesterday.

Did you?

Both stated he was not forced to resign.

Why don't you two just agree to disagree.

I would not call the WZEP reports as detailed information. More a publisher of press releases.

Last edited:

Tom Cooper

Beach Comber
Mar 24, 2008
Questions

Here's what WZEP said in their daily news blast:
WCSO?s Barker Resigns

Walton County Sheriff?s Captain Mike Barker has turned in his resignation. Walton Sheriff Mike Adkinson confirms Barker submitted his resignation to ?Look for opportunities elsewhere.? Captain Barker was over the 911 Dispatch and Emergency Management. Adkinson says the resignation included some technical policy issues. The sheriff says Barker goes with a strong recommendation. Joe Preston will be the interim communication and emergency management head until a replacement can be determined.

Walton County's emergency director resigns | county, director, emergency - News - Northwest Florida Daily News

After reading the NWF Daily News article, my question is...why is there such a difference between the two artciles as the reason for resignation?

"Technical policy issues" from WZEP or "May have been worn out" as reported by Sheriffs staff to the NWF Daily News. Does this mean he was "Technically worn out"???

"Forced to resign" has different connotations. Guess the information spin between the media outlets will leave the interpretation to the reader, or those who may know differently.

I talked with both Mike's yesterday.

Did you?

Both stated he was not forced to resign.

Why don't you two just agree to disagree.

I would not call the WZEP reports as detailed information. More a publisher of press releases.

I haven't talked to anyone which is why I was asking questions, hoping for information. And I really don't see where I disagreed with anyone. I just am not a supporter of anyone involved except the taxpayers.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
Walton County's emergency director resigns | county, director, emergency - News - Northwest Florida Daily News

After reading the NWF Daily News article, my question is...why is there such a difference between the two artciles as the reason for resignation?

"Technical policy issues" from WZEP or "May have been worn out" as reported by Sheriffs staff to the NWF Daily News. Does this mean he was "Technically worn out"???

"Forced to resign" has different connotations. Guess the information spin between the media outlets will leave the interpretation to the reader, or those who may know differently.

Bad Karma Folks !

Post from 7/29/2009

Mr Barker
It appears as you have once again got exactly what you wanted at someone elses expense. Could it be that this is ultimately related to previous political endeavors?
And dont worry, as you stated in our meeting last week I won't call you for anything. I can't understand why a person in your position would say that to a citizen of this county much less to someone in a professional business meeting. Anyway...
I can look at myself in the mirror every mornig and hold my head high, can you? I doubt it.
Maybe we will call you from Alaska.

Bad Karma Folks !

Post from 7/29/2009

Mr Barker
It appears as you have once again got exactly what you wanted at someone elses expense. Could it be that this is ultimately related to previous political endeavors?
And dont worry, as you stated in our meeting last week I won't call you for anything. I can't understand why a person in your position would say that to a citizen of this county much less to someone in a professional business meeting. Anyway...
I can look at myself in the mirror every mornig and hold my head high, can you? I doubt it.
Maybe we will call you from Alaska.

I guess the moral of your story IG is that if you treat people bad Fate will repay you?

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I don't know the reason Mr. Barker left his position and I don't care. What I do care about is that the person who is the director of emergency service and response in this county have the experience and backround to handle major disasters that might occur and a cogent plan in place to deal with such an occurrence. Emergency medical responce and disaster planning is no place for an inexperienced director. They should learn from the ground up, IMO.