• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
For a really good and cheap lunch, the Chevron station on 98 and 395 has a cafe inside that has really great comfort food. Their fried chicken, meatloaf and Shepards Pie are very good. The cost of lunch with 2 sides and a cold drink is less than $7. I give it a 4 chef hat rating for quality and value. The owners, Bonnie and Paul, are of a magnificent pedigree of successful and award winning chefs on 30A. ;-) If you haven't tried it, you are missing a wonderful treat !!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
You should try their breakfast. I haven't eaten there in a while, but breakfast is good, too.

bamabeachbum

Beach Fanatic
May 31, 2006
Decatur,Alabama
I got gas in there the other day on my way to play golf The the food looked and smelt wonderful!!! To bad I was late for playing golf, although the way I played that day, I should have stayed and had lunch!:lolabove:

Last edited:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
:clap: ...good one goofer! I devoured one of the best sausage and egg biscuits from there on the way to VPS one day. SJ sent me there for hangover food. :D

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Bonnie is my daughter:love: and Paul our son-in-law.:love: I've known Paul since 1989 when he worked at the Grayton Corner Cafe (where we are now....D&K's). He also worked for Criolla's back then. Doug and Paul worked together in San Diego, California, where they both surfed more then worked!:funn: He has a lot of experience and has always had a passion for comfort food...especially Southern.

Bonnie has worked with Doug and I in ALL of our restaurants since she was 17! She has a tremendous knowledge of the food industry. When she lived in D.C. she made desserts for the neatest cafe called Polly's on U Street. She was the leader of the D.C. Starbucks Green Team. She knows quite a bit about making great coffees too! She is an incredible artist and is, believe it or not, working with a boxing trainer to box.

They have twins that are 6 years old....Lily and Trooper. Bonnie has a beautiful daughter Free Noelle...15, and Paul has a sweet son Jacob....14 that lives in Alabama.

We have a very connected family :rotfl: :rotfl: :funn: that started 20 years ago in Grayton Beach!

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
KAT

I met Bonnie and Paul 2 weekends ago at the Hibicus Cafe at bkfst. We started chatting, and low and behold they gave me the whole history. What a wonderful couple. I had bkfst AND lunch at the cafe today. The food is so good and cheap. I love the fact that it is a place where all types of people go to enjoy great food. Laborers, contractors, business people, professionals and retired folks like me, enjoy wonderful food in a simple setting. It is the great equalizer !!! :clap: :clap:

Hop

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Dune Allen
www.myspace.com
is it the kind of place that you can get a bucket of chicken or is it by the plate only?

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
they sell by the piece....i don't recall them doing buckets but that sounds like a great idea for them. they are open real early in the morning ( maybe 6am) and close after lunch. i hope they would consider buckets. the fried potato logs look great ( i haven't tried them yet ) and all the other sides look great. they have cornbread also.

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
KAT

I met Bonnie and Paul 2 weekends ago at the Hibicus Cafe at bkfst. We started chatting, and low and behold they gave me the whole history. What a wonderful couple. I had bkfst AND lunch at the cafe today. The food is so good and cheap. I love the fact that it is a place where all types of people go to enjoy great food. Laborers, contractors, business people, professionals and retired folks like me, enjoy wonderful food in a simple setting. It is the great equalizer !!! :clap: :clap:

Yep they told me they had met you....small world this SoWal of ours!!!!!:clap: :clap: :yikes: :love: :blush: :wave: :roll: Oh yeah...Happy 4th of July!