Children playing in Damaged House on Dune

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Paula, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

from Donna

And doesn't that just make you want to be a planner? :roll:

:lolabove: ...I just hope you were planning on going to bed soon!!!!

Quite an interesting story though. I still don't understand why the owners are allowed to let what is left of their houses remain standing (or is that falling?). :dunno:

2. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Donna, your description given above is the way I understand Walton County's non-conforming uses too. One note of difference is that a non-conforming improvement can be enlarged via building upward, if within the height limits, but the footprint must remain equal size or smaller.

3. TooFarTampa

TooFarTampa SoWal Insider

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my hear
    But why on earth would someone be committed to rebuilding on a footprint on a portion of the land that is already undermined? Do some people really think that a retaining wall or seawall will make it all better, then they can just rebuild in the same spot?

4. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Yes they do think like that, and they do rebuild or at least repair on that spot of loose sand.

5. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Thanks CCK. I know Mr. CCK gets the job done! (and done well). You know I'm a happy camper -- get it "camper" :funn: (It's not really that funny, I just wanted to use that smiley). Sadly, I had to google backhoe to figure out what that is.

And thanks, Donna, for the explanation -- useful and makes sense.

My hunch is that the person doesn't plan to rebuild in the same footprint anyway (It was a great view and a nice small 50s - 70s ranch home but the building itself wasn't worth much compared to the property). The property is worth so much that whatever he did with that space, he'd come out ahead because I think he owned the property for a long time. He's an older guy who has had some problems lately (sad life stuff that happens as a person ages), but the town can help him along with his decisions by giving him options and deadlines. And perhaps he has grown children who could help him out if he needs help. I heard he's a physician so understanding the issues and problems and trade-offs and sense of responsibility should be well within his grasp. Of course, this is what I think the situation is. I met him once -- a nice guy from what I can tell. Anyway, no reason not to fix the situation as soon as possible before someone (or several people) get hurt or killed. If it wasn't so dangerous, it could be an interesting hurricane tourist attraction because it's fascinating to see.

6. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

You may not be able to see it in this smaller photo from Blue Mtn Bch posted below, but those boards on the beach are filled with exposed nails. I cannot imagine why debris like this is allowed to remain on the beach for any length of time. The other day, the water was washing up to some of the construction debris and ready to take a few pieces out to see or to be covered in the sand. From now on, I will keep my shoes on when entering the beaches in Blue Mtn., not that my shoes will prevent a nail going through my feet, but make it will help with the smaller stuff. Earlier, I posted the pile of concrete on the beach in Blue Mtn, which looks like a fun place for a kid to climb. I would hate for a kid to get killed after one of the huge chuncks on top fall onto a kid.

WaterColor doesn't even allow this kind of debris to be on the property if it is not in a covered dumpster. Why can't we insist that this dangerous debris be removed on the same day it is torn away from a structure? I wonder if the homeowners even know their personal exposure to risk. :dunno: Easily winnable lawsuits waiting all over the place.

7. DBOldford

DBOldford Beach Fanatic

SJ, correct about height not necessarily being controlled via the legal nonconforming status. The emphasis is on "footprint," which is the at-grade coverage of the structure. However, most ordinances do not allow for increases in sq. ft., either and that would calculate with most significant increases in structural heights.

I agree with your point about the debris. In fact, husband and I had our tetanus shots right before going down last October. You don't have to get a rusty nail to contract tetanus and it is a nasty cootie. Probably a good idea for anyone walking the beaches to have a current innoculation.

And yes, Sueshore, that post was the result of an unusual bout of insomnia. Happens when I have a hearing coming right up. I was embarrased to send it!

8. katie blue

katie blue kt loo

I spoke with Lee Paul (I believe that was his name?) today in Building and Planning. (Code enforcement referred me to him.) He says that they went out and took pictures the other day when the other calls came in. There are "several people working on this case", he says, but for some reason the house is still not condemned, strangely. He mentioned something about it having to go through the DEP next for the next step, and that it may get held up altogether by turtle season.

Paula, CCK is right, since we were there last in Feb, most of the remaining house/roof has collapsed on itself, crushing what was left of the living room where the children were playing a couple weeks ago. Basically a rubble heap of hazmat from the beach side now. Here's hoping something can be done before more kids arrive.

9. SHELLY

SHELLY SoWal Insider

Will the same hold true for seawall & geotube construction? That excuse weak at best.

10. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Thanks for all the updates. It's an interesting tourist attraction, as long as everyone stays far away from it (and, as I said, these caved in houses on the dunes are in several places along 30A). That said, there are much better and safe tourist attractions.

11. katie blue

katie blue kt loo

Well, I'm usually with right there with you Paula, but not on this one I'm afraid ;-). Though I have to give you thumbs up for good attitude! :cool: I find it less interesting, but more what my dad used to call an "attractive nuisance." I guess it's just the latent tree hugger in me. I see all the asbestos and lead paint in that 50-60's era rubble, force of habit.

Sigh. OK, maybe I'm not so much a "latent" tree hugger as a "blatant" one. :lol:

12. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Oh Katie, I'm completely with you. What I meant by "tourist attraction" (said tongue in cheek) was that as long as the building is standing, people will find it interesting to look at and will get a sense of what Mother Nature can do. I just hope they don't decide to get close to the building. For safety, health, and a nicer looking landscape, I'd like to see it come down as soon as possible. Yesterday wouldn't be too soon for me.

It occurred to me that maybe the owner is ill, but if he is, then someone else in his family should be helping out or at least notifying county officials of the situation and plans.

So, definitely, I'd like to see all collapsed houses on the dunes come down asap.

13. aquaticbiology

aquaticbiology fishlips

sj, i love your avatars but the eye is totally creeping me out (guess i have some sort of unconscious guilt problems with fish eyes or something)

anyway (shiver), just call the cops, cause if you didn't you could be said to be neglidgeible (?)

14. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

You are correct that we should have called the police/sheriff when we were there and saw the kids playing in and near the house. We just didn't think of it at the time, but certainly would in the future. Ideally this thread will encourage others to call the police/sheriff if they see something similar. I'd certainly want someone to do that if my kids were playing in such a dangerous place.

15. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Good news. The house discussed on this thread is being demolished and taken away now. :clap_1: Thanks to those of you on this board who gave us the names/contact information of county people to contact and who followed up with phone calls as well. Seems like the owner just needed a little encouragement and there didn't seem to be any resistance since it moved so quickly.

Katie Blue or CCK may have more first-hand information. I got the information that the house was being torn down today from one of the guests who was staying at our cottages.

16. margareteileen

margareteileen Beach Comber

FYI - it took quite a while but that house is finally gone. :clap_1: :D