• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

drsvelte

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Sandestin & Red Stick
I had never heard of Cincinnati Chili (even though growing up in Pennsylvania) until Joe Kernan discussed it on CNBC a year or so ago. What got my attention was that he said he "did it" 3-way :)biggrin:) or 4-way :)yikes:). A couple months ago, it was mentioned in a SoWal chili thread with less than stellar commendations. However, the February issue of Saveur called out Cincinnati Chili as one of their top 100 foods. I had to give it a try.

I searched for recipes, and the following one seems to be authentic.

Cincinnati Chili Recipe
Serves 3-4

1 large onion chopped
1 pound extra-lean ground beef
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayennepepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa or 1/2 ounce grated unsweetened chocolate
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
8 ounce package spaghetti

In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, saute onion, ground beef, garlic, and chili powder until ground beef is slightly cooked. Add allspice, cinnamon, cumin, cayene pepper, salt, unsweetened cocoa or chocolate, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar, and water. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours. Remove from heat. Cook spaghetti according to package directions and transfer onto individual serving plates (small oval plates are traditional). Ladle chili over spaghetti and serve with toppings of your choice. Oyster crackers are served in a separate container on the side.

Cincinnati chili lovers order their chili by number. Two, Three, Four, or Five Way. Let your guest create their own final product.

Two-Way Chili: Chili served on spaghetti
Three-Way Chili: Additionally topped with shredded Cheddar cheese
Four-Way Chili: Additionally topped with chopped onions
Five-Way Chili: Additionally topped with kidney beans

Frankly, as I added the spices, I didn't think I would like it. Allspice and cinnamon go in pumpkin pie, not chili. Anyway, I cooked the sauce down (adding more tomato sauce and water than called for).

I plated the sauce over the spaghetti, topped it with grated cheddar and onions, and served it with Italian-style green beans. I had no idea what to expect. It wasn't chili nor traditional spaghetti with red sauce. But it was different and good. MrsSvelte liked it alot. We'll make it again. :D

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Well, drsvelte, you're becoming quite the chef, huh? I always put a little cinnamon in my chili. This sounds delish--especially over the spaghetti. Between you and Allifunn, I am salivating!

jpbhen

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2005
Seagrove/Cincinnati
drsvelte, your recipe is almost right. we were born and raised in cincinnati - and were weaned on skyline chili (the original "cincinnati chili"). it is different because it was invented by a greek restaurant family here - they had their own ideas about seasoning, spices and texture. your ingredients are pretty much correct (there are variations in the amount of each). the big change you need to make is in the way you cook the meat. you don't brown it in a skillet - you mix it with all ingredients and water and bring the whole thing to a boil, and then simmer until thick. the result is an almost smooth chili with no clumps of meat like you have in other chilis. does that make sense?

we are coming back down to seagrove on the 15th of february. how about if i bring you some "official" skyline chili so that you have something from which to test and refine your recipe? send me a PM and let me know when/where.

it makes not only great 3 way and 4 way (5 way is just icky), but excellent cheese coneys. might have to make a quick trip in the snow to our local skyline tomorrow . . . . . :D

Paul Prudhomme's recipe has nutmeg and molasses for the sweetness to take the bite off the peppers. His recipe uses ground beef and ground pork. I add red beans to it because I like beans in chili.

My uncle in Tyler, Texas, thinks that it is a mortal sin to use beans and ground meat in chili. He thinks his recipe is better than mine. In my not-so-humble-opinion, mine rules!

jpbhen

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2005
Seagrove/Cincinnati
Paul Prudhomme's recipe has nutmeg and molasses for the sweetness to take the bite off the peppers. His recipe uses ground beef and ground pork. I add red beans to it because I like beans in chili.

well, paul p. is WRONG WRONG WRONG if he is calling his "cincinnati chili". it might taste good, but it is not the same animal at all. no pork. and - ugh - no molasses! beans are ok - but not IN - on top of.

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
Listen to the gull...Jpbhen knows of what she speaks.:D Personally I'm not a fan of Skyline but I work with an entire staff of Skyline addicts. My boss has even been in commercials. He's also from Cincinnati.

well, paul p. is WRONG WRONG WRONG if he is calling his "cincinnati chili". it might taste good, but it is not the same animal at all. no pork. and - ugh - no molasses! beans are ok - but not IN - on top of.
You misunderstood. He is not calling his "Cincinatti chili." Au contraire. I was just making a comparison. His is called "Mandeville (LA) Mardi Gras Chili."

JUL

Beach Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
Madison, Alabama
I had never heard of Cincinnati Chili (even though growing up in Pennsylvania) until Joe Kernan discussed it on CNBC a year or so ago. What got my attention was that he said he "did it" 3-way :)biggrin:) or 4-way :)yikes:). A couple months ago, it was mentioned in a SoWal chili thread with less than stellar commendations. However, the February issue of Saveur called out Cincinnati Chili as one of their top 100 foods. I had to give it a try.

Cincinnati Chili Recipe
Serves 3-4

1 large onion chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water

In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, saute onion, ground beef, garlic, and chili powder until ground beef is slightly cooked. Add allspice, cinnamon, cumin, cayene pepper, salt, unsweetened cocoa or chocolate, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar, and water. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours. Remove from heat. Cook spaghetti according to package directions and transfer onto individual serving plates (small oval plates are traditional). Ladle chili over spaghetti and serve with toppings of your choice. Oyster crackers are served in a separate container on the side.

Cincinnati chili lovers order their chili by number. Two, Three, Four, or Five Way. Let your guest create their own final product.

Frankly, as I added the spices, I didn't think I would like it. Allspice and cinnamon go in pumpkin pie, not chili. Anyway, I cooked the sauce down (adding more tomato sauce and water than called for).

I plated the sauce over the spaghetti, topped it with grated cheddar and onions, and served it with Italian-style green beans. I had no idea what to expect. It wasn't chili nor traditional spaghetti with red sauce. But it was different and good. MrsSvelte liked it alot. We'll make it again. :D

I'm glad you enjoyed! My daughters and I are addicts....There are several cincinnati style chili restaurants in and around the Greater Cincinnati area where I am from. Skyline Chili, Dixie Chili...my 2 favorites....then Gold Star Chili which Pete Rose used to endorse and Empress Chili among other mom and pop places. All of those restaurants have websites and my favorite is a 4way with onions and a chili cheese sandwich with onions no mustard...You have made me very hungry...it is definitely something that you crave after a while. I have been eating it since I was 7 years old. The pediatrician told me I could feed it to my children at 12 months...I did...they loved it.:D:clap:

JUL

Beach Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
Madison, Alabama

Cincinnati Chili Recipe
Serves 3-4

1 large onion chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water

Oh...forgot to tell you...not normally served with green beans:dunno:
And it is served on an oval plate of which you turn so it is tall not wide and that is the correct way to eat it...and they have these incredible oyster crackers that top the chees that are served to you prior to the dish and the crackers are so YUM that they are usually gone before the chili gets back to you...:D