• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
and this is bad for 30A.

OK- heads up - COCO'S IS CLOSING. I asked the owner about a specific date, and he said "day by day". So sad- we love going to Coco's with the kids and other families. We were told that they just aren't making it, and the final straw was all the new chain restaurants going in up around Sandestin. Too much competition for the ever shrinking dining out dollar.

The owner also said he knew of several local INDEPENDENT restaurants that are not doing well and maybe closing right behind him. So if you like to frequent locally owned restaurants, now is the time. Apparently it wasn't the greatest summer and now we are into the off season. I hate to see the day where all we are left with is Applebee's, PF Changs, and Cheeseburger in Hell.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
I think we need to start a Keep SoWal Weird movement.

We are almost to the point where we have no casual restaurants. I think there is only one local coffee shop at this point. All the charm is being sucked out of SoWal.

I will really miss Coco's. They were the only place to get Dos Equis draft around here. :sosad:

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal

We are almost to the point where we have no casual restaurants. I think there is only one local coffee shop at this point. All the charm is being sucked out of SoWal.

I will really miss Coco's. They were the only place to get Dos Equis draft around here. :sosad:

Good idea, Punzy. I hate that the home owned businesses are struggling so--and I don't even live there.

CPort

Beach Fanatic
Feb 15, 2007
Clearbranch, Miss
I always support local eating establishments over chains. What is COCO's? There used to be a mexican place around here with that name with Wednesday Margurita specials.can't really remember the food.

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
Give Don Pedro's a try, I think their food is nice and fresh, the rellenos are actually light tasting.

It's right down the street, in the other shopping center on 98.

Walt

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2007

So this is Paja here, using Walt's screen name....

you got me thinking, I think it would be really cool for all the 30A restaurants to start a keep it local campaign.
We could all chip in to make T- shirt that read;

Keep it Local

on the front (or some other catchy slogan) and then put all of our logos on the back. We could all sell them in our restaurants to spread the word that supporting locally owned businesses is essential to keep our great eateries open, and provide variety.

I have also been thinking for along time that it would be cool to start a 30A restaurant association to organize events that benefit all of us, stuff like having a showcase of 30A and maybe we can all offer a tasting menu on the same week, or stuff like that.

if other owners or managers or anyone for that is interested in the tshirt idea or the association idea lets start talking

Paja Sanchez
Caf? Tango

olive

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2005
Love it!!!!

Let us know how we could get involved!

So this is Paja here, using Walt's screen name....

you got me thinking, I think it would be really cool for all the 30A restaurants to start a keep it local campaign.
We could all chip in to make T- shirt that read;

Keep it Local

on the front (or some other catchy slogan) and then put all of our logos on the back. We could all sell them in our restaurants to spread the word that supporting locally owned businesses is essential to keep our great eateries open, and provide variety.

I have also been thinking for along time that it would be cool to start a 30A restaurant association to organize events that benefit all of us, stuff like having a showcase of 30A and maybe we can all offer a tasting menu on the same week, or stuff like that.

if other owners or managers or anyone for that is interested in the tshirt idea or the association idea lets start talking

Paja Sanchez
Caf? Tango

So sad to hear this. I love Coco's and we have been going there almost weekly...

In terms of the restaurant association or the campaign... if it is something I can help sit on a marketing strategy meeting or help do some simple design work, let me know. I do think it is a wonderful idea.

Give it a name and make the commitment. It can work. Perhaps some sort of collaboration with the heads in bed tax dollars (TDC) should be a good start.

Another restaurant that needs our support is Amoré. The last few times we've been there it has been virtually empty. I love their thin-crust pizza and their salad.

One of the things we love the most about SoWal is the absence of chain restaurants. We can get that back in GA.