• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
OK the storm last night fried my coffee maker :bang: thank goodness I had an old Gevalia one in storage. http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm824YYUS

My question is I need to buy a new one...does anyone love their coffee maker and would be so kind to let me know the make and model??? What does make a good coffee maker anyway???

Unplugged

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2005
Most any brand will do as long as it has a thermal carafe.

Krups Aroma Control? does a fine job - Costco sells them at a great price.

Whatever you buy... make sure it does not have a heating element, which burns the coffee - that's the fastest way to ruin a pot of java.

Also, a French press is good to have on hand as a back up during power outages, and tastes much better IMO.

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
thanks i will look into those...never had one with a thermal carafe...we have had the same Krupps since 1992 when we were married :eek:

dbuck

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
KY
I have a Bunn which I really like. It's not that the coffee is so much better, but it is FAST, that I like.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Yes, we believe the only way to go too, is with a thermal carafe. Nothing worse than that "cooked" taste. We've always used a Capresso brand. I believe they now sell them in stores like LInens and Things but it used to only be sold in higher end stores like Williams Sanoma. It's well worth the $$ tho.

Now if I could just find a brand of a good tasting coffee !

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
Johnrudy said:
Yes, we believe the only way to go too, is with a thermal carafe. Nothing worse than that "cooked" taste. We've always used a Capresso brand. I believe they now sell them in stores like LInens and Things but it used to only be sold in higher end stores like Williams Sanoma. It's well worth the $$ tho.

Now if I could just find a brand of a good tasting coffee !

try cafe britt/ costa ricas finest........

(click coffee)

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Bunn are among the best. People love them. The key to any coffee maker is to make sure you get a model that heats the water to a temperature that is in a specific range. Before I bought my last one I did a quick read of a coffee newsgroup and there were a few models recommended.

Search google groups for:
brew temperature coffee maker

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Mr Coffee

nothing fancy worth writing home about, but it has not failed me yet.
I also have an espresso machine, but mostly, I make coffee.

As Unplugged said, make sure you get one with a thermal carafe so that the coffee doesn't get that burned taste. We have the Starbucks Barista at the beach house. Makes great coffee, although right now it probably doesn't stay very hot because one of our renters broke the lid. Next time we go to the beach, I've got to check out the model number and call to see if I can get a new lid instead of buying an entirely new coffeemaker. Unfortunately the rental company didn't notice the damage, so we don't know which renter did it and thus can't collect any of the damage deposit.:pissed: