• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Gingersnap

Beach Lover
Jul 23, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach
@coondog wrote;
Is anyone really surprised by the outcome here?

In a word...No!

A becomes while they are in control, and are more focused on expanding the tax base by whatever means necessary so they can suck more cash up to north of the bay to spend on their pet projects.

Pet projects North of the Bay? Really? What might those be?

Ain't been no growth North of the bay in 30 years or better excluding Lowe's, the industrial park in Mossy Head and the truck stop. As long as we continue in the vein we are currently headed that's not likely to change. And that's just the way folks round here wanna keep it.

But....we do have Bill Imfield as the new Head of the EDA (Sara Comander's pet project) who couldn't have been bothered to return phone calls on the truck stop deal. Bill Fletcher can have all the credit for that deal, he earned it. ;) I would have to go back and look at the figures but Imfield is also responsible for the loss of roughly $600,000.00 that resulted in the fiasco now known as the "The Walton County Grand Jury Investigation That Wasn't". :blink: Imfeldgate!

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Please go to this site for dates in February ASKING for public input on Land Development Code and Comprehensive Plan. This will be a great place to make your feelings know about what you would like to see (or not see) in your community.

www.Waltoncountyplanupdate.com

30ASRBeachBum

Beach Comber
Jan 13, 2017
30A
It seems like the easier (and cheaper) solution would be to loosely organize a boycott of the shop. Tourists will be the only customers and, let's face it, there are plenty of places to purchase high-margin low quality crap already. I suspect any tourist that sees a message on their refrigerator that says something like "Please do not shop at the Crappy Turtle (or whatever it's going to be called). The owners and developers do not care about 30A and intend to turn it into Panama City Beach so that they can enrich themselves. Your money is better spent at one of the small, local shops."

Rental owners would need to create these messages on their own accord (the developers can't sue everybody). Magnets, flyers, a scribbled note - it really wouldn't matter. I'm pretty sure it would have the desired effect.

What I find kind of funny is that these guys are already screwed - they just don't know it. This kind of distributed attack is going to happen whether it is word of mouth, flyers, or a concerted effort. The only question is how long it takes to finally shut down. Will it be a slow death, or a quick one-season hit.

Time will tell.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
But, the problem is the building itself, not just the business. Looming vacant monstrosities with for rent signs? Really?

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
It seems like the easier (and cheaper) solution would be to loosely organize a boycott of the shop. Tourists will be the only customers and, let's face it, there are plenty of places to purchase high-margin low quality crap already. I suspect any tourist that sees a message on their refrigerator that says something like "Please do not shop at the Crappy Turtle (or whatever it's going to be called). The owners and developers do not care about 30A and intend to turn it into Panama City Beach so that they can enrich themselves. Your money is better spent at one of the small, local shops."

Rental owners would need to create these messages on their own accord (the developers can't sue everybody). Magnets, flyers, a scribbled note - it really wouldn't matter. I'm pretty sure it would have the desired effect.

What I find kind of funny is that these guys are already screwed - they just don't know it. This kind of distributed attack is going to happen whether it is word of mouth, flyers, or a concerted effort. The only question is how long it takes to finally shut down. Will it be a slow death, or a quick one-season hit.

Time will tell.

Welcome to the forum!

Food for thought....Not all business may be there to turn a profit in the traditional sense. Do a little digging regarding organized crime and Wings beach crap stores. I'm not saying this is the case here, but just consider it. One would have to sell a lot of cheap beach crap to pay for this store.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
And maybe a lot of those rental owners see having a beach junk emporium in their neighborhood a bonus?
No one person can speak for the absentee owners, but I do know that, if there are people who live here who are willing to reach out to the absentee owners and get contact information, absentee owners will frequently pitch in with emails, phone calls, and even money at times. Some will even make the trip to attend specific meetings of importance. I have seen it work up close and personal. It takes some time and generally some legwork and/or internet searching, maybe even some snail mail, but it can be done.Another thing to do is to encourage them to get email notices from the county website and/or other sources. Encourage them to join some of the FB and internet pages that keep people in the loop about local events.

Also, while there are certainly people who only care about a paycheck, many absentee owners are people who want to retire here in time, but are unable to afford it at the present time. Don't discount their interest. They want to maintain what attracted them as much as those of us who live here do.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Chapman, Jones fail the people

In a 2-1 vote, the Walton County Board of County Commissioners (BCC) overrode the will of the people and approved a 7,000 square feet Dalton Drive commercial building by the Snappy Turtle developer. This big box tourist store will be solidly planted in an Ol' Florida residential preservation Eastern Lake/Dalton subdivision neighborhood.

Recognizing compatibility and safety concerns, the 30A community rallied to the BCC. The Walton County Comprehensive Plan is the BCC's tool for directing common sense, smart and compatible development.

Commissioner Sara Comander identifying that this new project, very much like the ill-conceived 2015 Hampton Inn concept, was not compatible to this neighborhood area and, like the Hampton Inn vote, followed the Walton County Comprehensive Plan and she chose to deny the project. Commissioners Bill Chapman and Cecilia Jones voted in favor and decided to ignore abutting compatibility problems next to family homes, a quagmire of disputed private property rights of the Dalton Drive homeowners, the 2004 Walton County Planning Committee's own stance that the creation of a Dalton Drive-30A intersection was too dangerous, lot inaccuracies on the application, and the county's delinquent traffic concurrency reporting.

In spite of an overflowing room of 100-plus opposing homeowners, and a petition signed by 900-plus similarly minded and concerned citizens, Chapman and Jones turned a blind eye and a deaf ear to their elected responsibilities to represent the people of Walton County!

Their vision sets a dangerously low bar for responsible development within residential preservation neighborhoods and the 30A scenic corridor.

- Greg Thompson, Santa Rosa Beach

While C. Jones and B. Chapman may have failed the people, it's the people that continue to "fail" by re-electing these Commissioners...

Part of the problem is that the entire county votes for all 5 districts. Each district should elect it's representation.

I sure no one north of the bay (maybe a couple exceptions), give a flip about Dalton Road and its residents.

Vote Them Out !

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Chapman, Jones fail the people

While C. Jones and B. Chapman may have failed the people, it's the people that continue to "fail" by re-electing these Commissioners...

Part of the problem is that the entire county votes for all 5 districts. Each district should elect it's representation.

I sure no one north of the bay (maybe a couple exceptions), give a flip about Dalton Road and its residents.

Vote Them Out !
Did you by chance look at the votes from the south end polling stations and who they voted for?

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
So they failed themselves because they voted for someone other than who you voted for?