• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

tutic1971

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2012
Watersound Origins OPEN Big Red Bus Blood Drive

I am coordinating a blood drive on the Big Red Bus for One Blood, our regional blood bank. The blood drive will be on Monday, April 6 from 11 to 4 at the Community Center in Watersound Origins. This is an OPEN blood drive, meaning anyone who is eligible is welcome to come and donate. They will be practicing social distancing on the bus, with one person donating and one person in the history bay. Please consider donating, as the blood supply is low. Click on the link below to create an account and make an appointment. Please private message me if you have any questions. Much Gratitude, Teri .
Donation Centers | OneBlood

tutic1971

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2012
Thank you to everyone in the Watersound Origins Community and beyond who donated at the Watersound Origins Open Community Blood Drive yesterday. In addition to all of the appointments we had scheduled, people walked up or came on their bikes asking if they could donate. We had a few open slots that were filled, and invited some people to come back in the future due to the need for appointments because of the pandemic. Others also asked if the bus would be coming back again.

We collected 21 pints of blood yesterday, which, when separated out into platelets, red blood cells and white blood cells, can help up to 63 people. It depends on each recipients individual needs. It is likely the blood collected yesterday will be used by recipients within 48 to 72 hours.

To that end, we want to keep the blood supply flowing. I have received approval to have a Big Red Bus Blood Drive at the Community Center every 8 weeks, the amount of time regular donors need between each donation. I am working on coordinating dates and times and will keep everyone updated on the progress. Once I have the next date lined up, I will post a schedule for those interested in signing up. Regular blood donors are essential to filling blood supply needs for all types of medical emergencies.

Thank you to everyone who donated yesterday and I hope you will consider becoming a regular donor on the Big Red Bus in Watersound Origins. The Watersound Origins Blood Drives will always be OPEN, and we invite anyone who wishes to donate from other neighborhoods and the larger community to make Watersound Origins your regular blood donation location.

Please private message me if you have any questions.

With Gratitude,

Teri

tutic1971

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2012
These dates have been approved for the every 8 week Watersound Origins Open Blood Drive. Please put them on your calendar and I will post a schedule for sign-ups for the community closer to the date. Read the full post to see how you can help if you have had COVID 19.

June 8th
August 10th
October 12th
December 14th

Here is something you can do to help others if you have actually had COVID 19.

Convalescent plasma (CPP) is plasma collected from people who have recovered from the coronavirus. People who recover from coronavirus infection have developed antibodies to the virus that remain in the plasma portion of their blood. Transfusing the plasma that contains the antibodies into a person still fighting the virus can provide a boost to the patient’s immune system and potentially help them recover.
The experimental treatment is approved by the FDA to be used on an emergency basis and is called “COVID-19 convalescent plasma." Critically ill patients who meet the FDA criteria to receive this therapy can be treated for life-threatening COVID-19. Click on the link below for more information.

https://www.oneblood.org/

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
They say I might have had the virus but don't know it. Will you know if I've had it?

tutic1971

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2012
Dawn, that is a question answered in more detail in the link, but in short I believe they are requiring a confirmed positive test with a full recovery as one of the eligibility requirements. Below is the link that answers all the questions.

Remember to check back, as I believe (personal opinion) the guidelines may change over time as different types of tests become more sophisticated and more knowledge is gained:)

OneBlood - Home | OneBlood

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Watersound%20origins%20blood%20drive%20jun2020.jpg

tutic1971

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2012
Thank you to those who donated at the Watersound Origins Community Blood Drive on June 8th. We collected 21 pints of blood. Our next 8 week blood drive is August 10th and I will post the link for appointments about two weeks before the drive.