• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

marynorth

Beach Comber
Apr 18, 2005
In three weeks, we will be driving over from Louisiana on I-10. I've heard there are still big traffic backups in the Pensacola area due to the bay bridge being out from Ivan. Should we consider an alternate route?

Travel2Much

Beach Lover
Jun 13, 2005
The backups on the bridge going east are sort of a hit or miss event. I did it yesterday and had no problem, a bit slow for about a quarter of a mile but nothing frustrating. I have only had one time where it was really backed up in, say, 6 or 7 drives. Generally, I cross that area at around noon, on weekdays, if timing has anything to do about it. OTOH, I have seen horrible backups on the eastbound lanes when driving westbound. Going south to 98 never seemed to make much sense due to the damage in Pensacola/Navarre so never tried it. I think there is a northbound alternate, but cannot recollect how that works. Seemed awfully far out of the way if you are coming in from I10.

Make sure you have plenty of gas before you hit the bridge, I tell people visiting.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
You do not have to worry about damage if you take I-110 thru Pensacola to 98 - certainly, there is plenty of damage remaining but none that affects travel. However, it's summer now and if 98 is anything like it is in Destin, it may be a slow go.

This time of year, your choices may be to sit in a backup on I-10 or creep thru backups on 98 - or hit it right and have no backups at all.