• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Concerned with Poisons being sprayed all over SoWal? ...

A meeting has been set for Tuesday, August 7 @ 9:30 a.m. at the South Walton County Mosquito Control Office on Hwy. 393 north of 98.

This is an very important meeting to discuss the impacts of the toxic pesticides being sprayed in our streets and on our beaches. Experts have been invited to inform us in depth. The news media have also been invited. We would appreciate your being there if possible and spreading the word to all who are concerned about this issue. Please follow this link to a website which has been set up for educational purposes. If you would like to help in any way, there is a place for your comments. We can be a part of making this beautiful area we call home a safer, less toxic place to raise our families.

http://fixsowal.com
http://fixsowal.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemi d=27

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Skunky, County Commissioners Scott Brannon and Cindy Meadows called for the meeting and discussion with Mosquito Control, due to the enormous amounts of interest in the mass spraying of poisons in SoWal.

Hey, did you know that the Chairman of the Mosquito Control is paid a salary of $125,000 per year by the County? That is big incentive to keep spraying. ;-)

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I think we've discussed this before, and I think that you don't have all the data associated with this topic, or you don't remember, or you don't want to acknowledge the data. [ame="http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php?t=12839"]http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php?t=12839[/ame]
The missing info is what happens without the spraying, and what is was like before the spraying began. If there is an alternative insecticide available, let's here it, and make motions toward its trial use.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Skunky, County Commissioners Scott Brannon and Cindy Meadows called for the meeting and discussion with Mosquito Control, due to the enormous amounts of interest in the mass spraying of poisons in SoWal.

Hey, did you know that the Chairman of the Mosquito Control is paid a salary of $125,000 per year by the County? That is big incentive to keep spraying. ;-)

That yellow fly that bit my middle toe causing it to swell to the size of an oscar meyer weiner is incentive enough to keep spraying!:lol:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
That yellow fly that bit my middle toe causing it to swell to the size of an oscar meyer weiner is incentive enough to keep spraying!:lol:

You should spray yourself with repellent if you want protection, not the entire area, killing many varieties of insects. Not everyone wants to be coated in poison. ;-) I don't have any problems with you using DEET on yourself. Be my guest. The issue with the mass spraying of poisons is that the poisons kill more than mosquitos. You will note that by spraying, not all mosquitos, deer flies, and dog flies are killed, so spraying obviously didn't prevent you from being bitten by the deer fly, however, spraying DEET on yourself every time you go outside, might prevent bites in the future, but just remember that you might die a few years earlier, or have some terrible sickness or disease from the heavy use of DEET, in your later years. It might be easier to have a an occasional bite, and allow your body to build resistance to the bites, so it will be passed on through your genes.

By the way, there are other ways to avoid getting bitten by the three aforementioned insects, which have nothing to do with coating yourself in DEET. Wear long sleeve and light colored clothing, avoid going out at dawn and dusk, use natural repellents such as white vinegar, etc.

I think too many people forget that we need to be aware of the potential damage we can do to ourselves and our environment. We may be bothered on occasion by insects, but that doesn't warrant spraying poisons to try and kill all insects. That just isn't right. God would never approve of such behavior. There is a cycle of life, which shows that we need all things in balance. Eliminate one thing from the cycle, and we may be eliminating many things, including ourselves.

This entire issue shows what a sheltered life so many of us want to live. Rather than co-exist, we want to eliminate anything from our lives which interrupts our happiness. My father used to kill every snake he saw, and he shot a few "stray" dogs which wandered into our yard. His answer was if you don't understand something, shoot it. Somewhere down the road of life, I, thankfully, began to think for myself, and chose to take another path to follow.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
You should spray yourself with repellent if you want protection, not the entire area, killing many varieties of insects. Not everyone wants to be coated in poison. ;-) I don't have any problems with you using DEET on yourself. Be my guest. The issue with the mass spraying of poisons is that the poisons kill more than mosquitos. You will note that by spraying, not all mosquitos, deer flies, and dog flies are killed, so spraying obviously didn't prevent you from being bitten by the deer fly, however, spraying DEET on yourself every time you go outside, might prevent bites in the future, but just remember that you might die a few years earlier, or have some terrible sickness or disease from the heavy use of DEET, in your later years. It might be easier to have a an occasional bite, and allow your body to build resistance to the bites, so it will be passed on through your genes.

By the way, there are other ways to avoid getting bitten by the three aforementioned insects, which have nothing to do with coating yourself in DEET. Wear long sleeve and light colored clothing, avoid going out at dawn and dusk, use natural repellents such as white vinegar, etc.

I think too many people forget that we need to be aware of the potential damage we can do to ourselves and our environment. We may be bothered on occasion by insects, but that doesn't warrant spraying poisons to try and kill all insects. That just isn't right. God would never approve of such behavior. There is a cycle of life, which shows that we need all things in balance. Eliminate one thing from the cycle, and we may be eliminating many things, including ourselves.

This entire issue shows what a sheltered life so many of us want to live. Rather than co-exist, we want to eliminate anything from our lives which interrupts our happiness. My father used to kill every snake he saw, and he shot a few "stray" dogs which wandered into our yard. His answer was if you don't understand something, shoot it. Somewhere down the road of life, I, thankfully, began to think for myself, and chose to take another path to follow.

Hippie 3:16:rotfl:

Cheering472

SoWal Insider
Nov 3, 2005
Punzy your tar is SCARY. :lol: