• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

STL Don

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
I no longer can connect to this site at home using SBC Yahoo DSL. I assume that I need to make some adjustment to my browser settings--but I don't know what to do. Has anyone else experienced this problem and found a fix?

STL Don

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
We get the standard page, which anyone gets who puts in the wrong url. It reads: "The page cannot be displayed. The Web site might be experiencing difficulties or you may need to adjust your browser settings." It then give some steps to follow including checking connection settings. Don't know why we have this problem now--did not have it 2 weeks ago.

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
Try using Firefox instead of IE(which I'm assuming you're using). If you don't have it, go to Mozilla Firefox and download it. My daughter switched to Firefox when she went to MIT - they wouldn't be caught dead using IE. Also, you don't have to worry about all of the popups and spyware.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
ie is internet explorer. If Firefox works for you Don then it would definitely be a browser problem, otherwise it would probably be a network problem.

Have you tried contacting your ISP's customer service?

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
The Firefox idea was from my Information Systems people. Another suggestion: if you have recently installed the Google toolbar, it blocks popups even in IE, so some websites totally don't render properly. You can disable the Google toolbar (View/Toolbar/Uncheck Google) and see if that works. It's hard to debug a problem if you're not there. I'm a theoretician (formal language and automata theory), so I use my IS support people for help with the mundane problems. That's about all the help I can give you, unless you want to talk about G?del's Incompleteness Theorem, Richardson extrapolation, or Swing GUIs (which I'm sure you probably don't - LOL).

Just think about any software you've installed recently. That might be the culprit. My system got cranky when I got an IPod for Christmas. Windows insisted on putting my IPod files into a read-only folder (long story). Well, you can't download files into a read-only folder! I was screwed. But my IS people did a work-around, so now I can add new songs to my playlist. "You might see me in the street, but you don't know me..." says T.I.

Last edited:

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
I'm guessing you mean you can get to other sites from that connection, just not www.sowal.com. If you can't get to any sites, you should check your TCP/IP connection properties, specifically how it assigns an IP address (static and specified, or dynamic) and how it finds a DNS server.

If you can get to other sites, just not www.sowal.com, you could try a couple of things:

1) Make sure you're typing the address correctly: http://www.sowal.com
(doesn't hurt to triple check -- make sure you type it rather than letting IE auto-complete it for you from a cached entry which could be bad)

2) If you're sure of that, try substituting the IP address of the site for the domain name. That is, instead of:

http://www.sowal.com

type:

http://64.182.20.40

or

http://64.182.20.40/bb

If that works, your connectivity and routing are good, but there's something screwing up name-to-ip resolution. (If that doesn't work there may be something screwing up your network routing and you should look at your DSL modem/router settings. Contact your ISP technical support.)

Assuming the IP address method above does work, open a command shell window and type:

nslookup www.sowal.com

You should get a response that includes something like this:

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.sowal.com
Address: 64.182.20.40

which shows your name server is configured properly.

If not, contact your ISP technical support.

If you do see the above, name resolution is fine, it's probably something interfering with Internet Explorer's use of the name resolution facility, which probably means some IE corruption. You could address this by re-installing IE or installing a different browser like FireFox.

But before trying either of those options, see if you can reach the web site from a different user account on the same computer. If you have more than one user account on the system, log in as a different user and try to bring up the web site. If that works, it's probably corruption in a user-specific IE configuration file used to resolve site names, like index.dat. If so, locate the offending account's IE index.dat file and delete it (do it from a command shell if you know how to do that). Actually, even if you don't have multiple accounts, locate the file and delete it anyway. It won't hurt and IE will just re-build it when you re-launch it.

It would be named something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

STL Don

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
Thanks for the suggestions. I hope I can follow them--probably way over my head. I did try firefox--no help. The website name has been typed correctly---many, many, many times. I emailed sbc yahoo and maybe they will provide some technical support. I find it odd that I can access all of my other favorite sites without any trouble, but not this one.