• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ricky bobby

Banned
Aug 24, 2011
Tallahassee, Fl
The answer to the problem is to do away with all party affiliations below the state level. It works quite well and the candidates tend to run on what they will accomplish and not on what they are personally.

The only offices that Democrats can win in Walton county are school board and Mosquito board. Too bad the superintendent's position isn't NPA. Better still have the board hire a superintendent and that would eliminate party affiliation. The best argument for a hired or appointed superintendent is that the most qualified people could be sought out and it would eliminate a political popularity contest. Only in Florida can a high school dropout run for head of the schools.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Nice idea Andy. Except parties create division and conflict. Conflict causes people to reach into their pockets. Money makes politics go round on every level.

Besides as soon as you sounded serious about eliminating party, the party leadership would brand you a fascist, or an anarchist, or an extremist, or a nut, or un-american, or all of the above and worse.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
The only offices that Democrats can win in Walton county are school board and Mosquito board. Too bad the superintendent's position isn't NPA. Better still have the board hire a superintendent and that would eliminate party affiliation. The best argument for a hired or appointed superintendent is that the most qualified people could be sought out and it would eliminate a political popularity contest. Only in Florida can a high school dropout run for head of the schools.
Actually if a superintendent were hired vs elected it would still be a political job. Those that are elected to the School Board could change/ fire the appointed individual and pay out based on the contract much like happened with the County Administrator.

Annie66

Beach Lover
Mar 21, 2012
Seagrove Beach
Actually if a superintendent were hired vs elected it would still be a political job. Those that are elected to the School Board could change/ fire the appointed individual and pay out based on the contract much like happened with the County Administrator.

That's true to some extent but the superintendent's position begs for a highly qualified person. In 47 states and 23 counties in Florida, The argument seems to be that the board is held accountable for the superintendent. If the board hires a bad superintendent the board can do something about it. With an elected superintendent, the public is stuck with them if they do a bad job. Also, Florida is the only state in the union where a high school drop out can be school superintendent. But maybe the board doesn't care to be bothered by having all the responsibilities and accountability. Hopefully the school board isn't on the same level as some of the commissioners.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
If Kurt is right then there will never be a "true" democracy (I am not saying your wrong). If Andy is right then there is hope that we can have a government that supports our local communities (because that is where we ALL live, work and play). Andy, we would need a very special leader, a true Statesman that could implement a non-party way of government. I nominate you. I may not always agree with you but I believe you have the communities best interest in mind over ideology. I do not think you would be closed minded to someone else's idea because they have a different ideology. Do I have a second for this nomination?

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
That's true to some extent but the superintendent's position begs for a highly qualified person. In 47 states and 23 counties in Florida, The argument seems to be that the board is held accountable for the superintendent. If the board hires a bad superintendent the board can do something about it. With an elected superintendent, the public is stuck with them if they do a bad job. Also, Florida is the only state in the union where a high school drop out can be school superintendent. But maybe the board doesn't care to be bothered by having all the responsibilities and accountability. Hopefully the school board isn't on the same level as some of the commissioners.

That is seriously funny coming from you as you seemed to have issue with both the school board and the Superintendent.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Nol, no second. And while I appreciate the very nice and thoughtful words, I am well past my prime for activity. You are right about best interest in my community but I am very opinionated as far as ideology is concerned.

I have seen the non partisan (no R or D after the name) procedure work extremely well in Oklahoma. Maybe the elite here in Florida, now my home and proud of it,can learn something from those backward and uneducated Okies.
There are a lot of things that need correction and improvement in Walton County and this is just one of many. I, and many others, are here to help that occur any way we can.

Annie66

Beach Lover
Mar 21, 2012
Seagrove Beach
That is seriously funny coming from you as you seemed to have issue with both the school board and the Superintendent.

Glad you find it amusing. The point is that in a lot of places the board actually is the boss and superintendent operates at the pleasure of the board. In Walton county the opposite seems to be true. My biggest problem is that the district won't justify some of their actions. I think that being able to justify your actions is what accountability is all about.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
It is good to be opinionated about issues involving people in our communities and not just ourselvles. I think ideology is good which is a belief in a method to improve our communities. So the common denominator is unselfishness in terms of improving our community. Selfishness is a human trait that has to be managed by listening, being open minded and being grounded in the fact that our community is vital to our individual well being. I believe there are a very few leaders among us that are able to listen to others who may disagree with us then implement policy based on what we can afford and is needed in our communities. What begins to cloud our leaders to affect positive change in our communities is money, greed and the actual power over people. These things corrupts both our opinion and ideology. A true Statesman can resist those negative influences and hold true to the community that he is a part of. I believe that there are only a few among us that are able to hold true to our community over money, power and religious/spiritual beliefs. Where do we find good leaders? I believe we have to look for people who are involved in their communities, who have experience of what works and does not work and finally someone who is able to listen to ALL people living and working within our community. I would rather vote for an 80 year old man or woman with positive community involvement than a Harvard educated/disconnected from the middle class politician. I believe that description would fit with either of our presidential candidates. One candidate is affilliated with the party of zero compromise and the other with a party of having nothing to compromise. Either way results in zero support to our communities. We need to build back America from the ground up which starts in our local communities and not in uncompromising ideologies...