Construction ordinances

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by beach lover, Sep 18, 2005.

1. beach lover

beach lover Beach Lover

Is it legal for crews to work on Sunday's? I don't mind some work but not loud machinery.

2. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

There is no County ordinance against it. Some subdivisions, such as WaterColor have bans on working Sunday. I think Seacrest also has some restrictions on that.

3. Camp Creek Kid

Camp Creek Kid Christini Zambini

There IS a noise ordinance in SoWal, passed last year. Obviously a noise ordinance doesn't ban all work and it includes things besides work related noise.

Sundays: No noise
    M-F: Allowed hours are 6:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
    Saturday: Allowed hours are 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. (I think--not too sure about exact times on Sat.)

4. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

It is only illegal for certain hours of the day, and then is limited to certain decibel levels. Do a search for noise, Sec. 9-148, here.

5. Coast is Clear

Coast is Clear Beach Lover

Seaside is pretty strict with contractors:
    -I think the hours contractors can work is not before 8 am and until 5 pm weekly. No on holidays when more renters would be on site.
    -No loud music
    -No cursing
    -No garbage on site
    and they are restrictive on where vehicles are parked and dumpster is placed.

Not incredibly well enforced as I have been woken up by nail guns and compressors more than once before 7:30 am. :confused:

Separately, no leaf blowers are allowed for residential maintenance, too noisy :clap_1:

All in all it is for the benefit of the renters and residents :D

6. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

CCK, I know your husband is in the construction business and he probably knows the scoop. However, I cannot find a noise ordinance in the County Ordinances for all of Walton County. Will you give an ordinance number? I seem to recall something regarding construction noise and times, but I do not see it. I do see noise ordinances for specific locations including Grayton Beach, CHAPARREL ESTATES, HIDDEN HARBORS AND HOLIDAY SHORES.

7. Camp Creek Kid

Check with the Building Department. I also tried to find it on the internet with no luck. The noise ordinance was enacted last year. My husband has a copy at work, but I don't have one in front of me. Every contractor knows about the noise ordinance--they get the info at permitting.

8. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

The link to the code is in my post above.

9. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I see the ordinances for the specific locations which I mentioned, but general noise ordinances is "reserved" for future use. Do you know how often the municode is updated?

10. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Sec. 9-148, general prohibitions, looks like the ordinance that was approved for south of the bay. It appears they have it under the wrong section. I'm sure you could get a copy directly from the county e-mailed or faxed to you to be sure.

11. Camp Creek Kid

I don't think this is the new one.