• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Panama Pete

Beach Comber
Feb 1, 2008
After all the recent news on corruption taking place in various law enforcement agencies, someone actually thinks its OK... Why has no local (Sun or Herald) made mention of this news story?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ex-city marshal hopes to return (with DOCUMENT)

Comments 16 | Recommend 3
Ray Burgess, who left office in 2005, is 1 of 3 candidates in April 14 election

March 15, 2009 - 10:03 PM
Andrew Gant
Daily News
DeFUNIAK SPRINGS - Ray "Buddy" Burgess, a former city marshal who retired under ethics complaints and criminal charges for falsifying documents, is trying to reclaim the office that has been vacant since Mike Adkinson became Walton County sheriff in January.
If he wins the April 14 marshal's election, Burgess would return to law enforcement more than three years after he lost his police certification, paid thousands of dollars in fines and faced censure and reprimand from the state Commission on Ethics.
"People are going to make their choices," he said Saturday. "Most people know me ... The circumstances, they're not just plain black and white."
Burgess faces two opponents: Police Capt. Mark A. Weeks, the acting supervisor at the DeFuniak Springs Police Department, and Walton County Sheriff's Deputy Jimmy Macon, who ran for sheriff last year.
Burgess pleaded no contest in 2005 to charges that, as city marshal, he falsified documents to help a Walton sheriff's deputy avoid re-certification testing. One of Burgess' employees quit under pressure to help him.
He retired after the first-degree misdemeanor plea. Gov. Charlie Crist last year ordered Burgess to pay $3,500 in civil penalties.
The ethics commission also found probable cause to believe Burgess enlisted a police officer to report fraudulent overtime hours so the officer could receive more pay and kick back the money to Burgess.
Burgess still denies those allegations. They were dropped from his civil punishment, according to ethics commission spokeswoman Kerrie Stillman.
On Saturday, Burgess said he invites residents to call him if they have questions about his past.
"I'll give them my side of the story and they can make their own conclusions," he said, adding that he's taken responsibility for the falsifications "to help a fellow law officer."
Weeks and Macon did not immediately return phone calls seeking comment.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Good gravy! One can only hope that the other 2 candidates will have a field day w/ this! :blink:

Seriously, how is there not something in place to make someone like this ineligible?

Last edited:

Creeklover

Beach Lover
Dec 6, 2007
The one Ray helped out was the old #2 at So from the Pre-Johnson days and guess what he is back as the Under Sheriff under Mike............

Redd

Beach Fanatic
May 7, 2007
Good gravy! One can only hope that the other 2 candidates will have a field day w/ this! :blink:

Seriously, how is there not something in place to make someone like this ineligible?

I guess if not convicted in court then its all good. Stuff like this expands outward so things like the sallys nonsense gains traction and in the end the community gets hurt

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Holding the high moral ground, if it looks bad it may as well be. There are other recent incidences of appearances of wrongdoing, Charlie Morris, Ray Sansom, Jay Odom, Chris Hughes, Bob Richbourg and some of the nominations of President Obama fall into that catagory

WCcitizens

Beach Lover
Mar 25, 2008
Miramar Beach
After all the recent news on corruption taking place in various law enforcement agencies, someone actually thinks its OK... Why has no local (Sun or Herald) made mention of this news story?

Ray made an error in judgement, but I wouldn't call him corupt. He made a mistake, he admitted it, and now he wants another chance. I see nothing wrong with him running again.

He was a very popular Chief, and I suspect he probably will be again.;-)

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Based on the initial article posted and Aleo's comments it would seem there was more than "one mistake" - more like multiple instances. :roll: